Air con/power steering belts, and some other random crap!

archangel62

Air con/power steering belts, and some other random crap!

Post by archangel62 »

Right, stupid question.

How are the belt(s) meant to be hooked up for the power steering pump and air con compressor? The "other" Piazza has had its aircon pulley broken off at some stage, and something dodgy done with the belts instead...

Looking at mine, the only logical thing I could think of would be to run power steering and air con off of the one big belt, but that wouldn't explain the superfluous pulleys, or the listings on this site for two separate belts.

So my next guess is that the air conditioning compressor has a direct belt to the "middle" pulley of the three on the crank, and that the front air con pulley then goes to the power steering and tensioner?

If this is the case, what keeps tension on the primary/air con belt? I can't see a tensioner in that vicinity, but maybe I've missed something... Anyone? Pics/info?

P.S. Pending this and any unforeseen issues... My Pizza-bus *MIGHT* be running by the end of this weekend... fingers crossed.
Last edited by archangel62 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indigo - '76 TX Gemini sedan, G180W+T project,
Abigail - '81 TE sedan, white, G180W ITB project,
New Hotness - TG Gemini drift car, orange, 4ZE1+T
Tardis - 1986 Piazza 4ZC1-T, black, forged, 136rwkw @13psi
Coupe - TX coupe grip car, "do it later", G180W+twin carbs
Trevor aka Jimmy's Gem - Grandpa-spec TD
BA Falcon - Tow car
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

3 belts.
The power steering pump & aircon compressor have adjustment bolts (facing ~upwards) to tension the belts.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Geez it's gotta be one of your shortest posts m8. What's going on? Do we have the real Peter? I'd like to help but the air on and ancillaries had been removed prior to purchase so mine will be a little different.
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

Alright - now, my car doesn't seem to have a tensioner provision for the main belt from the crank to the air con. Any chance of pics, or an explanation of where it's supposed to bolt on?
BA Falcon - Tow car
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

This pic should explain it.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Now that's a good pic.
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

Aha! Thankyou sir! Mine doesn't have the bottom tensioner. Hrm... The air con tensioner looks like a different style/item to the power steering tensioner. I think I might have two of the p/steer tensioners.

The plot thickens (again). At least this is "easy" compared to some of the other problems I've had! Thanks Bugle, great pic.
BA Falcon - Tow car
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

Sorted! Thanks again!
BA Falcon - Tow car
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

Sick pic... So clean make you wanna slap yo momma...lol
Isuzu impulse turbo, my weapon of choice!
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

DISREGARD THIS - I just found a nifty post from ISU069 dating back to 2005 explaining what the following is/does. Thankfully my guesses were more or less correct. It's a vacuum and electronically controlled thermostat to cut off water supply through the turbo on a cold engine and/or when vacuum is present. Mine's broken and mostly missing, so I've bypassed it for now.

I will likely have a few more questions for little wires or hoses I'm not sure on, but I'm really insanely close to finishing this! If anyone has a battery bracket for sale - or the turbo thermostat pictured - let me know!

Btw - I promised pictures of my Piazza... Here's a teaser. This engine bay was pretty much empty when I bought it.

BA Falcon - Tow car
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

LOL - that turbo "shut off the cold water" article is yet another unfinished project though it seems I did a good enough draft, and it hasn't had any major D'oh incidences that need correction (I wish I could say the same for a few other things, but they're on OzFem so who cares... LOL).

I had a quick look for that thermostat (I'll take your work for what it is - I don't recall) but it's just too scary in my shed. But given the pleasure of a week off (pity I'm Casual), I may have a better peek - maybe even a bit of a clean - but that's after putting something to between the metal of my brake shoes and the brake drums on the Wasp, and doing a clean inside my house (I need to find some carpet in case Poida comes down).

If no one else responds, let me know.
It's be nice to make a sale - this should cost you $70 - $100 plus unless in my cleaning I manage to extract receipt of previous payments... (Yes, I still need to submit 6 six years of tax returns!)

Hang on - what's that - a mechanical fan? Yuck!!
[FYI - I now intend using a $3 PICAXE 08M2 for thermo-fan control off the (Bellett etc) normal temp sender with provision for later added sensors or switches. Newer kilxons seem to behave lick a thermal fuse (and permanently lock on). Besides, I'm too rough and their glue doesn't hold. Not normally a problem, but peak-hour traffic requires the occasional fan.]
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

BTW - your highlighted turbo thermostat - that's the vacuum controlled coolant valve isn't it? It sits in the turbo's coolant return line and its vacuum is turned on by its adjacent thin vac-tube connected electric vacuum solenoid. (Guess who just found izu069's original 25May05 "Piazza Turbo - presumed water valve operation (description)" document?)

Although I won't say it is not a thermostat since the it & the vac-solenoid & temp switch mimic a traditional mechanical thermostat (albeit fully open else fully closed), but just in case anyone thinks it's a thermostat...
IPTOC
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by IPTOC »

I have good, used turbo water control valves (as pictured) if anyone is interested. Twenty English pounds plus postage.
When they were still available from Isuzu (and they may still be, I haven't checked for over 10 years), they were 130 quid!!
1988 Isuzu Piazza HBL Auto - Ebony Black
1988 Isuzu Piazza HBL Manual - Romanesque Silver
1851 Cellar chock full of Isuzu spares!!