Question about timing...

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
impulsive

Post by impulsive »

IZU069 wrote:Maybe power the fuel pump(s) direct in case they are not being kept on.
Tried that. Wired 12v direct to the pump to keep it on. Same business.
IZU069 wrote:I assume you have the ITEC ECU (optical distributor; locked)
Correct. Could the distributor still be at fault?
IZU069 wrote:But you should NOT be getting an over-high fuel pressure. Either the pressure regulator is wrong, or there is a return blockage. (Or your fuel tank shares the same pressure!)
But others are more knowledgeable on that issue.
Well, my fuel pressure is still high, but from everything I have read, high fuel pressure should not kill the engine. It might run at high RPM and run rich, but the engine should not die. Low fuel pressure is a different story however.

I dropped the fuel tank, cleaned it out, let it dry, replaced any remaining rubber that I did not replace already, new fuel filter, pressure regulator, damper, and blew the lines out, both feed and return with my compressor. Not blockage as far as I can tell.

There is something telling the car to shut off. Its got to be an electrical issue. Something like a fail safe or something. Its the only thing that makes sense. I have not tried replacing the distributor, but my timing is good and dead on now.

Bart
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

Too much fuel at idle can and will stall out an engine. It's the main reason why vehicles with Faulty O2 sensors stall out, because the ECU is in a "safe" mode and staying rich.

It sucks that you are still fighting this problem...
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

And since rich mixtures (or petrol/fuel) are the biggest killers of O2 sensors....
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
yhamaie
Learner
Learner

Post by yhamaie »

impulsive wrote:After I took possession of the car, I discovered that what was actually removed was one of two fuel dampers, not the actual FPR.
I would like to inform you that I have just installed a BOSCH 0280161024 (replacement part for BMW and Alfa Romeo cars manufactured in late 70s - early 80s)

http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/bosch/0280161024.html

in place of the original fuel pulsation dampener (aka fuel damper).

Please also refer to viewtopic.php?p=13672 .
impulsive

Post by impulsive »

Cool! Thanks for this info!

Bart