Delayed steering response

skur86
Learner
Learner

Delayed steering response

Post by skur86 »

Hello my 86 Jr120 Australian delivered Piazza has a steering issue that I would like to remedy. When changing direction there is a delay around half a second to a second.
Has anyone encountered this issue before and does the rack just need a bushing refresh.
Ps.fluid level is fine and no visible leaks around the rack.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

IMO most probably it's defunct rack mounts - those rubbers deteriorate with age & oil. Get a 2nd person to look for rack movement as you steer left & right, preferably when stationary. (Yes, that's a joke.)

If it's prescription drugs, see your doctor.
If it's non-prescription, see me.

Sorry about the attempted humor, but I have these errant days...
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

Mine had knackered steering rack bushes which equated to a dead spot. Watch the driver's side rack bush with someone else steering, with wheels on the ground (or at least one wheel on the ground) to load it up.

I had fun replacing mine. The Superpro ones didn't fit my steering rack, the bushes were too narrow and had about 4mm of slop. I imported some from IPTOC which were wide enough for the rack, but the lash hoop was too narrow for the bush and had slop. I cracked the shits and cut the hoop in half, opened it up and welded it ie cut and shut it wider to suit the European bush, no issues since. Just beware you might have to be handy, know someone who's handy or go for some trial and error. Who knows, maybe mine had the rack or hoop replaced at some stage?
Indigo - '76 TX Gemini sedan, G180W+T project,
Abigail - '81 TE sedan, white, G180W ITB project,
New Hotness - TG Gemini drift car, orange, 4ZE1+T
Tardis - 1986 Piazza 4ZC1-T, black, forged, 136rwkw @13psi
Coupe - TX coupe grip car, "do it later", G180W+twin carbs
Trevor aka Jimmy's Gem - Grandpa-spec TD
BA Falcon - Tow car
skur86
Learner
Learner

Post by skur86 »

Thanks for getting back to me, i shall check the bushes next time i get the car off the ground and update/photo dump here :)