No: 2 of 4

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bradlze wrote:yeah the one in the white one goes but I think i might just keep that whole and put it into storage or something
do you think it will be huge problems putting in a 4zd1 or 4ze1 to get it regod?
and i think i might end up going with a t3 or soemthing anyway so ??
i dont know what imi doing atm I keep changing my mind and shit and confusing myself lol
I know how you feel. lol.

Im not sure you would have an issue with a bigger motor. If it non turbo id say all would be sweet.
Even with the turbo you might not have a drama. They had good brakes and the extra weight issue would be less than 10kg.

The only think i would worry about would be the emissions. Could you run the carb 2.3L?? or would you have to EFI the 2.6L with the 2.6L ECU.
I doubt the Piazza ECU would get clean enough figures with out running the turbo and on a bigger motor. It graphs would be all up the shit.

Best contact your rego mob.

Bob
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bradlze

Post by Bradlze »

yeah i guess I would have problems with the 2.3 carb
so I reckon 2.6 might be the go
i would prob change over all sensors etc to the 2.6 and run the standard piazza comp and maybe a t3 :)
Im thinking as well bout changing the cam
would the cam from the piazza fit on the 2.6 head? or would a regrind be a better choice?

and bob is there many differences from the piazza box and the rodeo 2.3 box?

Oh and I got some engine bay pics last night
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Nah the Piazza and the 2.3L rodeo have the same box. The 2.6L in the TF has a bigger box. It had less than 100KW but would have been up on torque. The piazza wasnt rated to carry a ton and weighed 1200kgs, so i rekon the box would be ok with it if you were nice to it.

The cams are interchangeable, its the pedestals for the rocker shafts that arent. Dont ever swap them to a different head, they are matched to the head to make the cam tunnel. The 2.6L runs a different cam gear but thats coz it has a different tooth pattern for the belt, they are smaller and closer together.
So to use the Piazza cam you would have to make sure the lobes and keyway line up the same in degrees and shit so you could bolt on the E1 timing gear.

The Piazza and both motors in the Shuttle bus used a T122 timing belt. It was 111 teeth i think.
The 2.3L motor uses a T123 belt its 115 teeth. They are the same pitch etc and the pulleys are the same. So you could swap to the Piazza crank, oil pump and cam gears and use the 2.3L belt possibly on the 2.6L motor. Id have to check the block height between the 2.3L and the 2.6L and see if they are the same.

Dont quote me on the belt numbers as im going from memory, the info is out in the shed. Could be 121 and 122.

I was wrong about the cams. Well i should say my info source was wrong. The 2.3l and the 2.6l motors use differently ground cams according to the factory manual. The smaller carby motors could all use the same cam, i will know when i find a factory book for the two baby motors. For obvious reasons the Piazza cam will be a different grind.

Before you do anything do a compression test on it. If that checks out ok have a go at the vlave stem seals. you might get a bit more life out of the old girl. The other thing i would do would be put a carby dizzy in it. That might help it run a bit better too, the turbo advance curve wont help it. The other thing to keep in mond is that with no turbo it will be getting way to much fuel. The O2 sensor will be telling the ECU that and it will be all over the joint trying to fix it, to no avail.

Or bolt a turbo up, after seeing the pics it dont look like it will be that hard, and see how it goes then.

Bob.

Bradlze

Post by Bradlze »

lol gave me a headache reading all that lol

quick question guys
the springs on the "handling by lotus model"
please tell me they are the same as all the other piazzas
if not I think I will have to kill myself
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

They're special Lotus ones!
Why's that a problem?
You can put Holden spec ones in if you want to..
Bradlze

Post by Bradlze »

Bugle wrote:They're special Lotus ones!
fuck fuck fuck thats what I thought
cos I kinda had to cut 1 coil of a spring to get it out as the lower control arms and crossmember was bent and there was no other way of getting it out :(
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bradlze wrote:
cos I kinda had to cut 1 coil of a spring to get it out as the lower control arms and crossmember was bent and there was no other way of getting it out :(
Shoulda cut the cross member up. tut tut. :axe:

Bob.

Bradlze

Post by Bradlze »

Rodeobob wrote:
Bradlze wrote:
Shoulda cut the cross member up. tut tut. :axe:

Bob.
yeah yeah shuddup im already pissed of with myself about it
although it was only 1 revolution of the coil
so all i have to do is cut 1 out of the other side and it will be sweet

or do you think i should take out the other one and put stock piazza ones in for the time being and try to find some lotus ones from japan
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Buy some aftermarket ones like Kingsprings or something. I dare say that they are probably better then the standard Lotus one.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Bradlze

Post by Bradlze »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Buy some aftermarket ones like Kingsprings or something. I dare say that they are probably better then the standard Lotus one.

Nick-
I just checked the king springs website as like i thought they didnt even have a listing :( you sure they have ever sold them? cos I thought that you could never get aftermarket replacement springs I thought the old springs had to be resprung or somthing
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

It isnt listed on the King Springs website but apparently they exist upon enquiry with King Springs [ie. Call them and theyll dig them up]. Matt was saying Pedders make them too so try them.

In all honesty a custom set of springs is probably the best, atleast that way you get the ride height you want and the handling you want. If all else fails, steal the springs out of one of the SOHC's.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Bradlze

Post by Bradlze »

GeminiCoupe wrote:It isnt listed on the King Springs website but apparently they exist upon enquiry with King Springs [ie. Call them and theyll dig them up]. Matt was saying Pedders make them too so try them.

In all honesty a custom set of springs is probably the best, atleast that way you get the ride height you want and the handling you want. If all else fails, steal the springs out of one of the SOHC's.

Nick-
yeah I guess ill give em a ring... but I want my special lotus ones back ..."cry"
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote:It isnt listed on the King Springs website but apparently they exist upon enquiry with King Springs [ie. Call them and theyll dig them up]. Matt was saying Pedders make them too so try them.
Id say the peders are kings springs painted red.

Fit up some std ones Brad. You could get the std ones reset as well seeing as you will have them out.

Get your tape measure out, compare the lotus and std spring and post up in the tech section with your pics.

Bob.

Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bradlze wrote: although it was only 1 revolution of the coil
so all i have to do is cut 1 out of the other side and it will be sweet
You could try that. Make sure the cut end of the spring seats properly. It has to be one full ring you cut off.

Im not sure about the rears, you might have to pull them out and get em reset to match the front, the could have tapered coils top and bottom like most other cars. Ive never looked.

Bob

wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Im not sure about the rears, you might have to pull them out and get em reset to match the front, the could have tapered coils top and bottom like most other cars. Ive never looked.
All the rears I have seen have straight cut ends that fit in the rubber seats same as the front so cutting shouldn't be a problem as long as it is one exact turn. Loking at some of the pics of standard market OZ cars they seem to sit quite high at the rear. I have a couple of sets of rears out of NZ release and would be interested in comparing the free length, number of turns and bar thickness to see what the difference is