Fry your brain in one easy lesson

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fry your brain in one easy lesson

Post by wedgenut »

Parts for Piazza's
I don't know what it is like in OZ but in NZ it goes like this. If you want anything for one of these desirable cars you can trot along to the local Holden dealer and ask them nicely to assist. Once the sniggering and snide comments have died down and you make your request you get the following response. Year? Turbo or non-turbo? chassis number? Engine type? Colour, Is it the one with the left handed widget or the overhead chrome wotsit? plus a number of other inane questions. Being smarter than the average parts man I have all this information ready and fire it at him like Clint Eastwood in a dirty harry movie. That only phases them for a few seconds before the standard reply comes winging back, followed by another bout of sniggering. "We will have to back order from japan and it will take 4-6 weeks. Cost will be about a bazillion bucks plus freight and tax" Pricks!

I have taken to dealing with aftermarket outfits instead, they usually know what they are talking about and almost never laugh at me. For instance Camelot brand parts available through Supercheap and others, make tie rod ends and rack ends and the price is so cheap it makes you feel like a robber when you leave the shop. However I do advise avoiding Repco where possible after a recent experience. I needed a repair kit for my Clutch master cylinder and knowing it would be a ball ache to get I settled for just the piston seal and re using the rest. So I pop into repco and ask for a 5/8" master cylinder ring seal. Yep you guessed it...What car is it for sir? Not wanting to confuse the little boy I said he probably wouldn't have it listed so just gimme a ring seal like wot I asked. Made of sterner stuff he insisted on knowing the vehicle so after having to spell it for him three times and suggesting he try both Isuzu and Holden catagories he eventually finds a Piazza listed under Isuzu ( I had to spell that as well!)

You may have guessed what came next, Year? Chassis etc. etc. etc. So I played his silly game for a few minutes and I won because he ran out of questions and I still had some answers left which pissed him off, especially as I made him aware of all the questions he had forgotten to ask. He got his own back by saying those parts were no longer available!

I gritted my teeth so hard other customers thought there was static on the $1200 stereo playing in the background. I hissed quietly and menacingly through these ever decreasing incisors that he should wander off out the back and return with a 5/8" ring seal pronto before I ripped his head off and crapped down his raw bleeding neck!!! This was obviously the approach I should have used in the first place as the helpful young chap returned faster than a speeding bullet with aforementioned ring seal for the princely sum of $2.00. All was well, I left happy and he was happy I left.

Everytime I depress the clutch pedal I get a vision of his pimply stubborn face flashing through my brain. Now I go to places that employ people who are at least 35-40 years old who say things like " Nice car, always wanted one, can I have a look at it, does it go well? I know the bits you want and we don't have them but such and such from a thingamybob will fit and we have heaps in stock for nearly no money. If you come across one of these guys shake his hand, if you come across one of the others do us all a favour and send him back to cartoon world for another trip on the magic roundabout.
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Hey Wedgnut, I am gald to see you found the new forum. It's been awhile since the old one hey?!. :D

I totaly agree with you on that. I went to repco once trying to get an oil filter and a rear main seal.. Wow never again. It's like you have to plan ahead a day b4 you visit repco.
My convo was similar to this:

Me: Hey I would like a rear main seal for a Holden 1986 Piazza Manual
Repco: What?? A pizza??
Me: No, not a Pizza, AH PIAZZA, you know Isuzu Impulse??
Repco: Na mate, never heard of it. We got holden and ford..
Me: Umm, ok than (No idea what to say), well I just have a look at your pretty neon lights than.
5 min later.
Me: So, umm Holden Piazza, you remember the car from Back to the Future??
Repco: Yeah, what a classic!
Me: Well great than, The piazza sorta looks like it
Repco: Really, tell me more...
Me: Bla bla here goes the story about Mr G and his creations..
Repco: Wow yeah never seen one of those.. But I have a look in my book full of shit.
5 min later, after talking to the manager:
Repco: Yes oh yesssss (Getting an orgasm) Sorry but we dont stock them anymore..
Me: Well heres the FUCKING SEAL, You got something that is similar.
Repco: Let me have a look....
10 min later:
Repco: Yeah this Holden Rodeo end seal looks quite like it.. $28 all yours
Me: Just fucking give it to me and I hope I never see you again.
Repco: Bye, umm (Scratching his nose)

10 min later I ended up at SuperCheap.. Oil Filter $6.95 awsome. Thank you come again..

Now I am thinking, If i ever go into a store again regarding parts, I will stick a sign to my head with the history behind and why when and why de fuck..

Sorry for the f words but those people really piss me off..
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
piazza

Post by piazza »

lolol

well written. Ive had the same resonse. We could use this thread to point out which parts are still available at places like supercheap, repco or sprint auto parts....
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Well repco is only a place to go to if you fell like explaining what a Piazza is. I found Super Cheap quite good for front seals and oil filters.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

piazza

Post by piazza »

I got enuf oil filters to last me the life of my car. bought them at an auction. Should be easy to find anywhere - repco, kmart, supercheap - wherever. they go by the code Z142.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Ask for the filter by number.

I dont have any issues. Just waltz in and ask can i have a da de da for a 2.3L Rodeo or a 2L shuttle. The only bits that are different on the various 4Z motors are the Oil filter and the dizzy cap. Of sourse the pistons are different too but thats a whole different game if you have to go that far.

That way you dont have to spell it and theres no crappy pizza jokes.

I didnt have any issues as i bought a piazza because it has the same motor as my rodeo. The guy ive dealt with at bursons is good and helpful, I single him out when i walk in the door.

I did have an issue with rear main seals last week. Needed one for a 1.8L shuttle. Every 4Z rear main in bursons melb system was the wrong seal in the right packet. Had to go to the seal/bearing joint.
me: Can i have one of these please.
Bearing guy: The number is wrong for us to cross check, Whats it off???
me: a TF rodeo.
Bearing guy: Oh yeah one of them. Used to have one.
me: Yep, did ya
Bearing guy: Ive got a 3.5L new one.
me: Oh have ya. the all alloy??
Bearing guy: Yep
me: whats it like??
Bearing guy: its shit
me: how come??.
Bearing guy: its uses so much oil and its only 6 months old.
me: Realy!!
Bearing guy: Yeah they got some warranty issues.
me: thats a bit shit, like the gen 3.
etc etc
Bearing guy: I aint got one here, will be here next tue.
me: Better get me two then. How much??
Bearing guy: $23.80ea They are silicon so they arent cheap.
me: Yeah ok get me two i will keep a spare one for the Piazza.
Bearing guy: A what?? It wont taste nice on a pizza.
me: I smack myself in the head and think how dumb i am for mentioning it.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
wedegenut

now brain dead

Post by wedegenut »

Thanks guys, It is great to know its not just me being paranoid, having said that of coure there probably are people out there that are out to get me after leaving them in the outside lane when they have the cheek to try and pass the turbs. You must have them over thre as well, all neon under the skirts, 4 tonnes of intercooler scraping the eyeballs out of the catseyes, 3 grand stereo and a knackered hair drier under the bonnet feeding a six inch chimney out the back. They have the noise of a spitfire in full climb and the power of a half dead moth. But hey, they got their hat on backwards and strides showing eight inches of arse crack. No suspension and sitting on the floor pan. The bloody heaps leap four feet sideways if they hit a ciggy but on the road and then they have the cheek to say they have an awesome handling package. I'll see them on the twisty bits, disappearing in my mirror, mine is only a couple of cm lower than standard but it is bloody stiff with no body roll. I just don't show off on wet roads but when it is dry they better not try and follow me though some S bends.

Here is a question, most Piazzas over hear have a big plastic plate between the tail lights, some say Piazza and other say Isuzu, I've even seen some that have both. I wondered what the holdens have. I looked at the Piazza search galleries but not one of the bloody pictures shows an arse shot. I even had a turbo Irmscher which I recently cut up and it was bare, plain back panel with no recess for the decal. Please give full description of your arses...jeez that isn't a good look and sends entirely the wrong signal. Please describe the vehicle rear panel, unless you are female in which case stay with the first request.
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

alot of people though prefer to change it. I even sprayed it black and put an isuzu sticker on it.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

thanks, I found that picture after sending the request, disapponted no females have yet responded with accurate descriptions but i live in hope. I also asked about getting it on the other forum thread, the badge that is!

Ain't it funny, I prefer the one with the big PIAZZA emblazoned across it but my little monster is a Holden freak and plays the but I want game giving me earache. It wouldn't have happened if I hadn't let the little bugger look at the pictures so all my own fault
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I've got a couple of styles i've collected apart from the thankfully unmolested Holden one that came with it. Piazza Nero one is my favourite ofcourse. :) Stuff putting Holden badges on an Isuzu! I'm keeping them for when I put the car into an all Holden day show n shine though :)
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I usually go to my local Auto One for parts, every time I walk in this certain guy at the counter asks "hows the Piazza going?".. Usually they can't help though :(

heh had one problem with something they actually did have a listing of. The diff pinion seal. For some reason they've got the 3-link torque tube rear end seal listed for Holden Piazza.. So they told me to go to their supplier a bearing shop down the road. The guy accepts that it's wrong for a 5-link Piazza but insists that all Aussie delivered Piazzas are 3-link and that mine must have been converted which is wrong ofcourse. Had to agree with him to get him to give me the correct seal!
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote: Had to agree with him to get him to give me the correct seal!
LMAO

Ive got my suspicions that its the same seal as used in KB Rodeos, Early UBS Jackaroo, Shuttle bus, and the TF rodeo (2.3L i think) all with the 194mm diff centre. Still yet to confirm it.

I like a plain back pannel that says nothing. It admits to nothing.
Id like the nero better if it just had the nero in big letters and a small Isuzu Piazza up the top.
What did the Irmcher have on the back????
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah it was the same as those cars, he didn't actually have a listing for it under Isuzu Piazza or anything. I just gave him my seal and he matched it up to a Jackaroo one.

Irmschers didn't have a plastic thing at all I don't think. Think it's just flat panel with a sticker similar to what's on the Nero plastic thing ive got.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Here, complete with those funny hubcaps, i'd love to have a set of them