Gearbox ratios and pictures of gear boxes

Submit all your know how here. All workshop submissions must be reviewed and may be edited by a Moderator or Admin. Please speak to any of the forum staff first before submitting.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Gearbox ratios and pictures of gear boxes

Post by Rodeobob »

Heres what the Piazza had and other vehicles with the bolt in box, Gearboxes are confusing in Isuzu vehicles due to the different sized output shafts. See pic, small left, large (Piazza) right.
*Edit, i made the above pick a thumb, i hate big pics that make my screen wide, click the thumb ot make it big.

Marked in blue are boxes that will only be small output and should be fine spline. Marked in yellow are boxes that could be either small or large depending on whats its in, the Shuttle one is large. Marked in red are boxes that should only be large. Its just a guide, i havent seen under every Isuzu ever made. It a learning process. Important note: double check the output size before removing or buying a box. Its the same size as a trimatic etc, so grab a yolk off an old Holden and try it out

These are from the WFR manual for the Shuttle Bus. It shares the same 2x4 gearbox book with the KB Rodeo and just about every 2x4 and 4x4 MSG epuipped Isuzu vehicle ever made. One thing this book did have was a list of the Ratios and what it was in/behind. The sets are coded by letters like the other gearboxes in other manuals.

WFR is the bus
KB is the rodeo
KBD is the Diesel Rodeo.
Box model,
ratios,
vehicle and engine.

MSG5K
R3.753
WFR 4ZB1
KB G200Z
KBD C223

MSG5L
R4.277
WFR 4ZC1
KBD C190
KB G161 (note no Z so its probably irrelavant and for africa or something, they would have had budget push rod over there)

MSG5C
R3.402
KB 4ZD1
YB 4ZC1-T

MSG5E
R3.753
KB 4ZD1

Theres two sets listed for the 4ZD1. There were 1000kg rated Rodeos and then 500kg rated LS Space cab Rodeos. Im tipping that the "C" set was for the latter as its the same as the Piazza ratios for the 4ZC1-T. Just happen to have a stuffed one in the shed, it was replaced by an "L".

Ive mentioned the MUA TF Rodeo gearbos on a few occasions so ive put the ratios below.

All called the MUA5C
Until 1991 models, Constant mesh reverse gear.
R3.875

From 1992 Model, full syncro all gears.
R3.875

Thats what the book said, so if youve got a 91 model box who knows what friggin ratios youve got. It must be lost in the translation. lol.

I dont have a side by side pic of an MUA and a MSG box but heres one of each.
MSG
MUA

They are the same length and have the same Bell-housing pattern.
The input and output shafts are the same splines.
The MSG boxes can be setup for either cable (pull) or hydraulic (push) clutch by simply moving the piviot ball for the clutch fork, the MUA box only has the spot for the hydraulic fork.
The main drama is the way the shifter mounts to the box. On the MSG box in the top pic the mounting face for the shifter slopes back, on the MUA box its flat, parrallel to the output shaft. The MUA's selector is longer than the MSG one and the mounting is a different pattern. The Rodeo shifter isnt easily modified and the Piazza one will be a hassle to fit. Ive got one of each shifter in the shed and im going to work on it.

Heres another pic for the sake of it. Its a Falcon EA T5 next to the MUA box.

The T5 is a little bit longer but would work with a Piazza auto tailshaft. Then theres the bell housing to worry about along with the speedo drive the clutch plate im sure the list goes on.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.