Drivers window has come out of fittings.

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Drivers window has come out of fittings.

Post by sbs »

Hi there, I have had to fit the drivers window back into the lower fittings to allow the window to operate and I have used a solution of Araldite. Any ideas on whether this will last? I have my suspicions that with heating and cooling the Araldite will probably crack, so what methods have other folks used when in this position. Thanks sbs.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Hi there, I have had to fit the drivers window back into the lower fittings to allow the window to operate and I have used a solution of Araldite. Any ideas on whether this will last? I have my suspicions that with heating and cooling the Araldite will probably crack, so what methods have other folks used when in this position. Thanks sbs.
Well at least you were smart enough to avoid silicone (RTV) of any kind. Never use silicone on glass attachments like this as it imparts some of its molecular make up to the glass and it can't be removed, the result is that it doesn't matter how well you clean off the silly coon what you use after that it won't stick for long.

Araldite might last okay but the recommended product is a urethane glass adhesive. 3m do a range of products and primers, you could try supercrap but any autoglass outfit will have it and sell it to you. Best to do it right
So many cars, so little cash
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by sbs »

Hi there wedgenut, thanks for the advice and I will make a note of your suggestion. Is there no end to your automotive knowledge? Thinking about it now I suppose that I could have phoned a car glass repair firm and sought advice but why be a member of this site and not use it?
You must have a ball keeping your fleet of Piazzas up and running, how do you do it? Thanks again, best wishes, sbs.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

It aint easy sometimes, only five here at the moment as my daughter has shot off to live down country and "BORROWED" a car to take with her. I'll be expected to keep it well maintained at all times even though it is a five or six hour drive away. LOL
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

My passanger side window dosnt work, it rolled up when I first got the car but now it dosent roll down at all. its like the motor isnt catching the window or something I dont know....do you have anything on that...?
Isuzu impulse turbo, my weapon of choice!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Dear agony aunt "my window doesn't go down/up anymore" should I tell my girlfriend It isn't her jeans that makes her ass fat?

This is am old and trusted Piazza trait. There are two types of mechanism, one has a bowden cable drive from the motor and the other is a flexible worm drive.

The worm drive style don't often break so it is likely you have the cable style. What happens is the cable has a ferrule clamped to it that locates in a plastic clip on the window bracket. the plastic clip can easily break if the window is stuck or too tight. It usually happens on the way up when people closing the window hold the switch on too long after it has reached the top or some clown tries to force the window down from the outside in attempt to pinch your five buck stereo.

This is always assuming the window motor is working. If the above has happened you will hear it running with nothing happening. If you can't hear it then the motor isn't working either from a blown fuse, faulty relay or broken wire. You may even have a faulty switch. But two faulty switches is unlikely so if it doesn't work off either door switch it probably isn't the switch.

If you trace the fault and need parts I can probably assist. If you need to take the door card off and have not done it before flick me an email and I will give you step by step to save you some grief.

I am THE expert on these damn windows having fixed several over the years
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

Thanks man, By the way I can hear the motor in the door working but the window does not want to roll down.
Isuzu impulse turbo, my weapon of choice!