Turbo timer for 4zc1 engine - yes or no?

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Turbo timer for 4zc1 engine - yes or no?

Post by sbs »

Hi folks,
A few years back I used to drive a Daihatsu Charade turbo, (and what a great bit of gear that was),and was advised to put a turbo timer switch into the car to allow the turbo time to cool down after a decent run. I have had my Piazza out in the nice Spring weather getting the cobwebs out of it and I wonder what the general opinion is about allowing the engine to idle for a couple of minutes after such a run. Is the 4zc1 turbo sufficiently cooled by the intercooler? Is the installation of a turbo timer necessary or recommended?
I look forward to any helpful ideas. Thanks guys, sbs.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

If it's water cooled, there is no need.
Maybe after a real thrashing, but then you should be cooling down the entire engine and (maybe) brakes too.
Turbo timers were intended for non water-cooled turbos, but have become another bling else con.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Turbo timer

Post by sbs »

Thanks for the advice mate, I won't go touching something that is working just fine then. You've done me a favour 'cause it seems every time you add an extra to a vehicle it is just something else that can go wrong.
regards for now, sbs.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I agree with "simplicity"!! Else backups & bypasses (ha - that adds complexity! - but for example knowing that iof your charging system fails, in many cars (Isuzu Gemini etc; but NOT Piazza) you can get the electric fuel pump working by disconnecting the alternator's voltage regulator.

Alas I digress.
Many may say that turbo timers are "essential", but as I reckon - not for normal use. (Piazza would surely have had one - they have so other many extra almost-trivial add-ons.)
But if I were to add one, I'd spend no more than $10 and make a circuit myself (good old 555 timer).
The timers that sense heat and thrash mode and hence vary the run-on time (if any) may be worthwhile, but I think they are rare and expensive.
And they should really also apply to normal post-thrash head cooling (any engine). (They are often used with electric water pumps.)
Now add a circuit that drives around until the brakes cool down, and we are talking a useful item that is more than show.

And if you get a timer, make sure it has a manual shutoff. Queues at petrol stations tend to be unamused waiting for you to wait 1-3 minutes for your engine to shut off (before filling). (Yes - we still have that rule and the "no mobile phone" rule over here.)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Keep in mind that Piazzas had both water cooled and non water cooled turbos. The latter being on some manual cars.

The water cooled Piazzs have a llave that lets water circulate through the turbo after you shut the engine off.

Yous should allways let a trubo motor wind down before shutting it off, only realy need to do it if you have been giving it a bit of a hard time.

And a bit of Tech for you, the intercooler has nothing to do with the turbo. The turbo blows air through the intercooler and into the engine. As the air passes through the intercooler it cools the air by transfering the heat to the outside air (air to air [via the core of the intercooler]) thus cooling the air that was compressed and heated by the turbo.

So in effect it will only cool the air to a point where the outer core of the intercooler is cooled by air around it when stationary, or flowing through it when moving. So it is a bit variable.
It works the same as a radiator but with air inside instead of water.
A water to air intercooler is the reverse of the radiator with the air on the inside. This is not commonly used on the street but is good for drag racers and the like as you can get a good constant inlet temparature. The intercooler is in a tank and they usually add dry ice or iced water etc.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Turbo timer on 4zc1's.

Post by sbs »

Hi Rodeobob,
I use the Piazza fairly gently - it seems to me that the previous couple of owners took good care of it, and so should I - so a good run means a couple of hundred kilometers at 100 kms an hour.
Thanks for explaining the intercooler function too as I had that wrong.
regards for now, sbs.