Bottom End Strength

rodavo
APC Member
APC Member

Bottom End Strength

Post by rodavo »

Does anyone know how much power the standard 4ZC1 bottom end is good for reliably??
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Bit of a broad question, it depends on wether or not your talking standard engine or rebuilt? Limiting factor on a standard engine [besides condition and km] is the factory cast pistons and rings. They dont cope too well with detonation. I am ofcourse excluding obvious limitations in power production such as the inlet manifold and turbo.

Rebuild - its just like any other Isuzu motor, the engine is virtually flawless. All it needs is proper preperation and some forged pistons and its basically it. The standard rods can take a beating, just get them shotpeened and theyll last a long time [check out Darren Hunters G180-powered Gemini. Standard rods, shotpeened]. Same with the crank, just get it machined and there are no strength or oil flow issues.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Missed the whole point of the question....a mate ran 15psi through a T03 on his factory-standard 4ZC1 Turbo for a good 6-10months of thrashing [yes it was in a Gemini]. It suffered a melted piston and 3 cracked ring lands when the standard actuator allowed boost to creep at 5500rpm in 5th [work it out, its not exactly "normal" operating range, were talking 200kmh+] to the point detonation set in.

Once it was rebuilt it was fine, only drama then was sump gaskets via poor breathing. Be careful of cheap catch cans.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
rodavo
APC Member
APC Member

Post by rodavo »

Cool thanks for the info. I am aiming to run around 250 - 300hp through a fairly fresh standard bottom end using an aftermarket ecu, rodeo intake manifold, skyline turbo, etc. I think the bottom end should take it fine but I wanted to get your guys opinion.
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

So did you ever get the work done on your ride? i wouldlike to see your set up just to see how it all flows you know!
I also want to get more power out of my cars, but i just dont know how to go about it all, there is alot of help on here that Im thankful for. LOL
Isuzu impulse turbo, my weapon of choice!
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

Just woundering how the project is going? hit me up sometime and let me know..peace
Isuzu impulse turbo, my weapon of choice!
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Although a bit late for Rodavo, 300HP is fine on st'd bearings & bigends.
The same were used from old G150 OHVs to 2.6L 4ZE1.
There are several 400+HP engines running standard bottom ends.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
rodavo
APC Member
APC Member

Post by rodavo »

Not too latefor me. My beast is now off the road and I have started to do some work on the front mount intercooler and my spare engine. Will be a long term project the way things are going.