Scissor lift 'Lambo' doors

Talk about anything and everything
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scissor lift 'Lambo' doors

Post by Piazza_man »

Is it just me or does anyone else think these doors would freaking awesome on a Piazza. Given how the bonnet opens and the uniqueness of the body these doors would be a perfect match. If I had another chance I would get it done. Even a bloody Toyota Yaris, which has no business to have one, gets the treatment:

A google search will show many places now that can do this.
Last edited by Piazza_man on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Isn't that called a Delorean - a cheap copy of the Piazza?

(Another Ace in the deck - was the Piazza the diamond?)

But those doors had been done.
The Piazza was the first with its latch type - since copied by probably all other manufacturers. (Try resting a Piazza door against the B-pillar so it does NOT close...)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Those Delorians are cheap imitations, that is correct. BTW those are gulwing style (ie hinged from the roof). Granted scissor lifts have been before but never on a production piazza. They'll look better than those barstadised Delorians anyway don't you think?
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Generally I think they are called Lambo doors, derived from the Lomborghini which has them as part of its trademark. Kits to do the conversion can be bought for many different cars. How hard can it be? Famous last words, I'll stick to conventional.
So many cars, so little cash
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Your spot on wedgenut re the Lambo doors terminology. I think they cost about $1500 for the conversion. One of them can convert and make it in such a way that it can be fully reversible. Don't really know why. Besides, conventional isn't in my vocabulary. The whole reason why I bought the Piazza was to be unconventional. Isn't that the reason (or one of the reasons) why we bought these things in the first place.

What I need is to get another Piazza from someone that is in top condition with nothing more to spend. Then I could put the lambo doors on. I'll bring back you words now: "How hard can it be? Famous last words". Finding a pristine Piazza is probably getting harder to find.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Finding a pristine Piazza is probably getting harder to find.
Chopper says "harden the f--k up wayne" you just need to look harder. You can buy my Nero Irmscher and drive it home to the west island but watch out for the puddle in the middle :finga: :finga: :finga:

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I knew you would come up with something. Nice example though. Didn't know you were selling. How much? :tonqe:
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Haven't give any thought to that, not actively trying to sell it but if someone offers me lotsamunny it will be for sale. Just teasing you, its a bit big to stick in your hand luggage
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Not wrong mate, and my pockets aren't that deep eh
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Oi - that's a northerner accent!

What sort of price is your limit? And manual, or auto, or manual or manual?

It seems like a few $k is the going price - eg fairly good running/registered ones for $3k, maybe $4k or more.
Good/ok ones probably not registered ~$1500.
And complete for parts or do-upable for $1k or free to a good home.

Those prices are for us in the West (North) Island though our South Island should be similar.
Maybe prices have recently changed?

And as always, it is supply verses demand.
A few years ago I cut up a 1969 Bellett which would now fetch at least $2k-$3k; maybe even over $1k in its current sections. But that may also depend on there now being more dollars than sense.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

It has to be a manual if I get one for starters. How much do you think I sold my car for back in '98? have a guess.

I suppose the whole point about this thread is to inject some fresh ideas and to really make these things stand out. *eyecon smells another show car/magazine spread coming on*
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

With that badge, er, maybe $10 - $15?

LOL - That badge ain't too bad.

Let's see - $38k new in 1986. May sold as "shopsoiled" or ex-demo etc for low to mid $20ks.
I perused one in Brisbane for $11k; maybe mid-1990s.
The ones I got were advertised for $2.5k & $3k in 2005.

1998 - 12 years old.... a bargain at $5k - might have been less due to reputation and crap servicing, but I'd "expect" ~$10k, maybe even $15k...?

But essentially, I have no idea what market or real values were back then....
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I originally put it up for $13,000. Got no where. Then down to $7000, which nearly got sold (long story). It eventually sold to a guy in Sydney...wait for it... for a princely sum of $3000 cash. He promised not to ring up or complain if something went wrong later if I accepted the offer. I took it because he raised some minor issues, which he used as a bargaining tool. It was a bit of an insult when you consider what I bought the car for at auction ($4500) and the engine was all but stuffed. *eyecon goes to corner for a bit of a cry* :sad1:
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

$5k a bargain.
$3k is just a plain rip off! Death to the buyer!

But he did buy, and he was the only buyer. He gave $3k more than others....

But it's a joke isn't it - but not a funny one at all!

And to quote my favorite non-Economist at the time (the one that said Aussie companies should go overseas if it meant higher profits). "That's all in the past!".

Now that everything has been privatised and prices have gone down commensurately, you can buy again with your spare money.
(You may have yet to pick my sarcasm. We have just returned the state government that privatised our public transport and other things... People actually blame the provider for things they aren't allowed to provide! And it seems prices have gone up.... LOL! Oh - there were 3 rail providers for competition (LOL!), now there is one!)

Wot! Me digress? Never!

Anyhow, I reckon I can guarantee you are not crying alone. :crybaby: :partyman:

And thanks for the "quality" update on this thread's Topic title.
(Not that I'm one to ever comment about quality and intelligence. And good taste!)
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Yeah, I know where your coming from mate. Your heart's in the right place. I appreciate you trying to cheer me up. Nothing like some sarcasm and junior to change the mood. I guess you do these cars for the love/passion not for monetary value. Like just about any other car I guess. You just don't get your money back when you start throwing money at cars. Anyway I promise not to dredge up that sad note again. Here's to good times and good memories. :drinkers: