Location of ECU and diagnostic link.

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location of ECU and diagnostic link.

Post by sbs »

Hi there folks,

For those of us non-mechanically minded enthusiasts could some one let me know the location of the electronic control unit please. My mechanic, ( he is becoming a very rich man courtesy of my Piazza! ) hasasked if their is a diagnostic link and, if so, how to access it and interpret the flashing light codes.
Any help will be much appreciated as always. Thanks, sbs.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Buy a copy of the PiazzaManual CD (~$15?) with its 73MB 900-page pdf. (Painstakingly scanned and compiled by selfless dude.)
You WILL want it! (See HOME above-left menu bar.)

The ECU is top-right of the driver's loud knee (the one that operates the loud pedal).
No diagnostic link per se (it's from 1986!), but it uses a flashing LED to indicate trouble codes.

As I recall, it's a modified Bosch L-Jetronic (AFC) (Japanese) but it isn't specifically listed in (eg) Mitchell's "Electronic Fuel Injection - Imported Cars, Light Trucks & Vans; 1st Edition 1989 California, though the others are similar (Mazda, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota) - though that Mitchell's does contain the G200W (DOHC) Piazza's I-TEC EFI (with dual-optical 4ZE1 style distributor).
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Check what is written on your ECU, built up cars ex japan, Isuzu (not Holden badged ones) have the "JECS" ECU, different set up and loom etc. Does the same job but no flashing light on the ECU. It uses the engine check light on the analogue dash version as a signal lamp for trouble codes. It is all too primitive for modern day mechanics, diagnose faults the old fashioned way and you should be fine. However for that you need a real mechanic not a modern day part fitter with a laptop. Anyone younger than 50 years old won't have a clue where to start in my experience. Not their fault, they just don't teach them the old wisdom these days. I have not yet found a problem that couldn't be traced and solved with no more than a half brick, a cold chisel and a bent pin although sometimes I will resort to a ten buck multimeter.
So many cars, so little cash
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ecu info.

Post by sbs »

Thanks Wedgie and Izu,
You are a mine of information as always! My mechanic is, luckily, of the old school and a Piazza fanatic. He admits to having a desire to meet Sale Of The Centurys Delvene Delaney and a nice Piazza at the same time,( his idea of a real threesome! ) and I can go along with that. The only thing is of course that Delvene will be showing a few signs of aging by now but our Piazzas are as young as ever.
Thanks for your information re the location of the ecu, regards, sbs.