front speakers

vinnie55

front speakers

Post by vinnie55 »

Hey

I attempted to changeover the front 6'' speakers yesterday, assuming it would be an easy task.

For some reason they are held in on a metal frame by bolts that are on backwards so I can't unscrew them.

I'm sure I can get around that, But I'm sure most of you piazza lovers have changed front speakers before many a time and I'm wondering if there is an easy way that dosn't involve me breaking anything?
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

You need to take the door card off and take out the four screws that hold the metal frame to the door panel.

Take off the escutcheon around the inner door handle, one screw. Take the 4 screws out of the speaker grille and remove the grille. Remove the ashtray. Take out the window switch/cig lighter panel and disconnect the wiring plugs, one screw down the hand pull hole, lift from the rear of the panel and ease the spring tension on the cig lighter bracket through the gap where the ashtray came out of. It will pop up nicely. Once it is out there are two nuts securing the door card to a metal hoop. The nuts are on the reverse side of the panel. 8mm spanner needed usually but some have 10mm. then remove the four chrome head screws along the bottom of the card on the carpeted area. On some models there is a plastic push screw on the door jamb surface and if you have a small round plug on the card at the front near the top take it out and there is a large screw down the hole. finally there is one more large screw holding the card to the skin close to the front of the gap the switch panel came out of. With all those out pull the card away from the bottom of the door and disconnect the two wires to the step light. Keep easing it out all the way up the sides and the few push clips there are will pop out. then ease it directly upwards guiding the card past the metal bracket where the two nuts were. All will then be revealed. Speaker change should take no more than 20 minutes per side start to finish, including removal and refitting door card, so get going i'm timing you. You owe me money for this advice but I will accept loose women
So many cars, so little cash
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

bloody hell. I thought it was going to be easy.
cheers tho.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

You'll learn, there are more screws in a Piazza than the whole of kings cross and no two are ever the same. Why do you think these low slung two door coupes weigh about the same as VL commie/ Cos mr isuzu built them with steel rather than tin foil and most things are held on by nuts and bolts instead of plastic clips. AND did you know, if you cut the roof off a Piazza you can drop an engine block on the floor pan dead centre and it will not deflect one bit, I know I tried it. The shape and structural design of the floor pan is very rigid. Do that with a late model ANCAP safety tested 5 star rated hatchback and it will bend in the middle like an old mans dick.
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

Well that's good at least. the fuego was full of shitty plastic screws and clips that would always break or come undone and be bordering on unfixable.

haha nice analogy.

yeah i did wonder why it weighed so much, but it's also full of technology and sound deadening. It's so quiet in there!
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I found the Piazza to be easy to dismantle - IF you know the right way.
Dash (meters) and doors are typical examples - a few screws & quick, else more screws and nowhere!
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

- wedgenut

I printed off your advice on removing door cards to change speakers over.
Worked a treat.
I started timing myself but things got more complex.... My speaker mounting holes didn't actually line up with mr Isuzu's bracket.
No matter.
4 easy screws and the bracket was removed, put it under the drill press, and bob's your marley.
well that and my speakers are splits, so they have a crossover which I mounted behind the speaker :D.
That made things easy.

The only issue I had was, in removing the door card, the door handle surround seems to get held in place by the electric window controll....

I can;t seem to work out how to pop the damned thing out without breaking the surround.

Forutunately that surround was allready broken (and I have a brand new spare.....somewhere in the overflowing shead where I can't find it)
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Aha! Well, In MOST case when you remove the single screw holding the plastic sourround you can pull the handle to the open position and slide the surround back just enough for it to pop out at the front, but the door locking rocker switch needs to be set in the half way position and then you can ease it enough to unplug the wiring from the switch and wriggle it off. I find it easier to use two fine screwdrivers or a couple of pocket knife blades on either side of the switch (not top and bottom) to ease the window switch out of the panel first , undo the wiring and get it out of the way. I also fit it last, but remember to have the wiring already sitting in the correct position before putting the door card back on. It is a "fuck me" moment when you have fished buttoning the entire card up and find you have let the window switch wiring drop down behind the card or forgotten to lift it up in the first place. We all been there I'm sure. No shame. Its a piazza.
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

allright, I'll try the two screwdriver thing. cheers.
do you put them under the edge of it? or do you push them down the side? because there is a bit of a lip over the top isn't there....
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

You can't go down the side as you are right there is about a 2mm lip. The clips are sort of ramped so they actually come out as easily as they go in. Two thin blades gently just under the lip and it should slide out quite easily. Early switches have a six pin multi plug but the OZ cars are later models and will probably have the multi plug plus two loose wires with bullet connectors.

Also, the passenger side plastic plate is interchangeable with drivers side as they are the same plate, the passenger side has a blanking plate in the middle which comes out just as easy.
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

oh cool.
yeah see my drivers side one was broken when I bought it.
So I kind of broke it more putting the speaker in.

however rick sold me a brand new one in the box when i bought the car. so i'm gonna replace that.
Now I just need to do the screwdriver thing on the passenger side so as to not break that one....tho it is a bit cracked allready.
...might have to buy another one from rick....
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

Oh and another thing.

does anyone have any advice on removing the headunit?

I undid that whole centre console thing once, and the headunit and EQ and that little compartment thingy all seem to be attached to it.

Do I just pull it away a little then unplug them all....then detach it?

also found this little fella on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

Does this look like the correct plug for a piazza head unit?

I might find out soon enough in any case, but yeah.
Any assistance always appreciated.
and you can expect photos when it's all done.
piazzanoob
Probationary
Probationary

Post by piazzanoob »

I found that you have to remove the suround from the centre console the piece with the same material as the dash that comes off with two 8mm nuts underneath the console on on each side they are located pretty much where that suround finishes just past the gear stick then there are two screws on each side of the console more or less located under the dash where that material fineshes they shouldnt be too hard to find then you got to lever off the bolts that had the 8mm nuts on them underneath you just got to put your finger underneath that suround and where the bolt is located and and just pull it out of its hole it sits in the plastic in AND DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME AND THOSE BOLTS ARE NOT REMOVABLE FROM THAT SUROUND then that should just slide out then there are four screws holding the whole headunit in then it will come out then just pull the two main plugs off (im pretty sure) and the earth wire and its out!
Pulled the centre console out that many times i could do it in my sleep

HOPE THIS HELPS :)