were Any Isuzu Piazzas assembled in NZ?

Talk about anything and everything
84piazza
Probationary
Probationary

were Any Isuzu Piazzas assembled in NZ?

Post by 84piazza »

hay guys just bought a 84 piazza 220ks last owner 20 years, anyway the lady i bought it off said it was only 1 of 30 assembled in NZ. Have tried researching this but to no avail. any info confirming this would be greatly appreciated!
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

They did assemble some Isuzu models in New Zealand I believe, but I never heard of Piazza's being assembled here.
I wonder if the vin has the factory number in it?
1986 Piazza - 1984 Piazza
1986 Heron MJ1
www.mvpc.co.nz www.ihwedding.co.nz
84piazza
Probationary
Probationary

Post by 84piazza »

yeah i was wondering if there was a way to trace back to factory but not too sure how. carjam doesnt have that much info unffortunatly only says it is NZ new...... cant even find a number for GM New Zealand to try the direct route, will keep trying tho out of pure curiosity!!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Firstly you will get no joy from GM, they have little or no active records. Secondly, no Piazzas were assembled in NZ. None, Nada, never. All were imported and they were all non turbo models with the very early ones being twin cam G200w engines, they were phased out 82/83 in favour of the SOHC G200z engine and were sold here new imported fully built up cars. The turbo cars in NZ were all used imports with the possible exception of a couple of demonstrator cars believed to have been brought over by GM to test the market.

If you research my older posts you will find some answers on numbers, and at last count from memory there were just over 300 still on the active register in NZ. Active meaning either currently registered for use or on the hold list. The majority of course are non turbo cars.

If you go to the home poage and then the gallery you will see details of two gatherings of NZ Piazza owners as well as member car images.

What is the rego of your car? I may know it.

If you require new or used spare parts contact me first, it will save you getting laughed at when you go to the GM parts department or getting the blank look at Repco when you say Piazza.

The banner at the top of this page is not a mock up, it was my six cars on an outing a couple of years ago at the Albany North Shore Park & Ride.
The line up included from left to right, 1984 non turbo manual, (this car was sold and has had a couple of owners since and is currently for sale on trademe in Warkworth where some mental defective has covered the factory paint job with matt black paint because he has no brains). 1986 imported non turbo manual, (also since been sold and last time I heard was still trotting about the north shore area) 1983 imported non turbo auto (Bella model still in my possession), 1986 imported turbo manual (still in my possession) 1984 imported turbo auto converted to manual. Had a full inside and out repaint white and sold on and at last count was still driving around Palmerston North and looking nice. Last image is 1985 imported turbo auto NERO model. Sold last year to a guy in Taihape and still going strong.

Anything else you want to know?
So many cars, so little cash
84piazza
Probationary
Probationary

Post by 84piazza »

according to my reg car is nz new plate is lp6028 lady owned for over 20 years befor i got it im only 3rd NZ owner as far as i am aware, as far as the banner goes....VERY COOL! i would love to do a cruise!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

nope, don't recognise the plate number, the vin number on the firewall will give clues to the build information, for example it will start off as JR130 which indicates it is a G200z engined non turbo car, other digits will identify
transmission, trim level and other options.

If we organise another cruise you will be notified but it is always difficult due to the diverse locations of active members and cost of fuel etc. These days it usually defaults to people in the same regional area getting together for beer and lies.
So many cars, so little cash