IR89 - back in action.

Talk about anything and everything
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

Been a short time since an update. I haven't had a solid day to work on my car in a little while. Got a new part-time driving job so I can work less hours thanks to better wages. Finishing up tests in school and other various distractions of the female variety take up the rest.

Still, I nearly have the rear bumper dismounted. I have had more trouble with rusted bolts in the back of the car, than anywhere else on it. I had to drill out, air chisel, and grind out 3 of the 4 main bolts thanks to the welds on the mounting hardware breaking, and access to them sucking. I should have it dismounted tomorrow if I get the chance.

Waiting to hear back from a glass company about pulling my front and rear windshields for me. I would do it myself, but I would rather pay the money and not risk a fuck up that would have me searching for new expensive windshields.

Otherwise, I am keeping myself occupied with starting some body work. Bought a couple of panel stands, some body filler, fiber fill, tons of sand paper and blocks, and a couple aerosols of weld through primer. Forming the rear rocker patch will be the hardest thing I have to do besides deleting the sunroof.

It's almost all the way to the trailing edge of the door, but the trust through is spotted. I am probably just going to form it as much as I can of one section to save lots of little stuff. The other rocker, while rusty, is still solid. I have some POR-15 to treat some of those sections.

A little more Eye Candy. Took 9 weeks to get them to my door, but SPAX shocks ftw. 28 way adjustment monotubes. I just direct ordered them from the UK. Lengths are the same as factory. Part numbes G165 and G169.
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Nice eye candy. Any particular reason you chose Spax over the Bilsteins or Konis? Good to see you have a job given the fallout from the GFC and that you have a very welcome distraction. After all, man cannot survive on IMPULSE alone! :)
ImpulseRocket89

The Spax are adjustable, and easier to get sadly. I had zero luck with even finding Bilsteins, and Koni's cost an arm and a leg. These were $680 to my door, which isn't that bad honestly.

I can survive on Impulse alone! lol. Welcome distractions are welcome though, as it is somewhat hard to cuddle up with an Isuzu.

BTW, I have all of your parts, minus said pulley (waiting on those again). If you want them sent separately let me know and I can box this stuff up.

Naked quarter panel.

ImpulseRocket89

Also, if anybody has any advice for removing the front springs without a spring compressor, I am all ears. I am down to using some type of 2 way ratchet straps and a jack as my last options. I really need to get that front suspension taken apart.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Bugle had a nice solution re front spring removal, which was a contraption he made himself if I'm not mistaken.

Re the other stuff you have in hold for me, I don't mind waiting for the pulley so that everything can be shipped as one package. Were you able to negotiate my pulley to be made at the 20% underdrive rate?
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Konis are not too bad in Australia, about the same price as those Spax ones. I got front ones but haven't fitted them yet, hoping they don't touch my wheels because the body is huge on them, although they offset the bottom eyelet to move the shocks inward. Those spax look to be about the same diameter body as original?

Spring removal doesn't require any special tool, but for installation it makes it easier and safer.

For removal I removed everything except the lower arm, put a chain around the top of the spring over the top of the crossmember so it couldn't fly anywhere. Then let the arm go as far down as it could and used a tyre lever to lift the spring out of the suspension arm by stepping on it. Then with a big bang the spring comes out and hopefully doesn't hit your foot.

Then remove the arm and hopefully you won't find an elongated crossmember arm mounting hole like I did on mine.

btw sent you a PM re manifold
ImpulseRocket89

eyecon wrote:
Re the other stuff you have in hold for me, I don't mind waiting for the pulley so that everything can be shipped as one package. Were you able to negotiate my pulley to be made at the 20% underdrive rate?
From what he said, this is essentially the size we are stuck with. He didn't really try to explain why either, but he was adamant that this size of pulley is what we would end up with every time. I am happy with a 30% under drive, but if you are not happy with it, I will send you back your payment on the pulley. I don't hold it against you one bit if you aren't happy with the result, as I would be the same way.
Bugle wrote:Konis are not too bad in Australia, about the same price as those Spax ones. I got front ones but haven't fitted them yet, hoping they don't touch my wheels because the body is huge on them, although they offset the bottom eyelet to move the shocks inward. Those spax look to be about the same diameter body as original?

Spring removal doesn't require any special tool, but for installation it makes it easier and safer.

For removal I removed everything except the lower arm, put a chain around the top of the spring over the top of the crossmember so it couldn't fly anywhere. Then let the arm go as far down as it could and used a tyre lever to lift the spring out of the suspension arm by stepping on it. Then with a big bang the spring comes out and hopefully doesn't hit your foot.

Then remove the arm and hopefully you won't find an elongated crossmember arm mounting hole like I did on mine.

btw sent you a PM re manifold
The Spax are just a tiny bit bigger in body than the shocks currently on the car, but not by much. For all intensive purposes, they are the same size.

So, essentially, put the springs on a leash to keep them from flying off into the wild blue yonder and just drop the arm down and then find a way to compress or pry them out. Works for me. Thanks for the info.

Replied to PM btw.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Have the pulleys been done yet? That's pretty inflexible of them.
ImpulseRocket89

I will call them tomorrow and talk to them again. I have heard of people having issues dealing with Paeco regarding this kind of stuff before. I will see what he says about it again.

ImpulseRocket89

Been busy as all can be the last few weeks, so no real progress. I have all of my aluminum flanges and bits in to start fabbing my intake. new intercooler, loads of pipe, etc. My proper Ron Davis radiator is on its way as well, so I can get the mounting all sorted. My exhaust flange is also done. Now I can at least sort out the engine bay and get everything fabricated....once I find the time.

No word yet from Paeco eyecon. I called him and left a message to call me back, but it seems to take him a while to get around to it.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Thanks for the update. I'm now thinking if they can't do the 20% under drive then I would like my money back. Would that be an unreasonable request?
ImpulseRocket89

eyecon wrote:Thanks for the update. I'm now thinking if they can't do the 20% under drive then I would like my money back. Would that be an unreasonable request?
Nah, it's not unreasonable. I am sure I could sell the second one and make some of the money back on it. Or I can just rock a spare lol.

I finally got around to hooking my welder up. I ran out of things to do that don't require melting metal together, and I want to get my engine bay mocked up before I pull the motor. I still need to go snag a bottle of gas for it, but otherwise ready to go.

With that in mind, I gathered all of my bits, bolted the flanges to the head, and started to mock up the engine bay. Got the old rad in place until my new one arrives in the next week and approximated my new intercoolers position - which fits like a charm (TR10C intercooler). I can start to work out mounting brackets for those two items utlizing the old AC Condenser upper mount location, and one tab down low to keep it steady. I should probably get an oil cooler on order so I can figure out it's new home as well...

My current collection of aluminum. Most of it is 1/8" or 11ga. in thickness. I haven't been making the greatest progress the last few weeks due to distractions, and falling behind in school after being sick as hell for a while. I plan on starting the intake manifold this coming weekend if all goes to plan.

Essentially, I realized that doing a bunch of body work was pointless unless I tear apart the engine bay, and I have a lot of work to do in that part of the car. I want to get all of this finished up, and then tear it down, send the block off for machine work, and just strip the car completely while I wait for that to be done.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

looking good there. Can't wait to see what the plenum looks like.
Benton
Learner
Learner

Post by Benton »

hmm project sounds great.. I love the turbos engines because they are looking awesome... thanks for sharing the photos of your work, I guess you are pretty expert in all this working as you are doing this very perfectly. Good job man keep it up.
ImpulseRocket89

Benton wrote:hmm project sounds great.. I love the turbos engines because they are looking awesome... thanks for sharing the photos of your work, I guess you are pretty expert in all this working as you are doing this very perfectly. Good job man keep it up.
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but this isn't my first rodeo either. I have still encountered some firsts along the way. Careful planning and research save a lot of headaches down the road, to be sure.

Finally got around to starting my intake manifold. Borrowed a friends horizontal metal band saw and cut out my intake runners, my fuel rail to length, and sized down my base plate for the plenum.

Runner lengths were cut at 2 1/4", minus 1/16th for the recess on the stacks, which then add on 1 5/16" in height for a grand total of 3 3/8" long tubes, and with the flange thickness and port to valve seat added in, my total effective runner length is about 5 1/2", which is extremely close to my 5th harmonic calculation.

I just have to do a little cutting to taper the primaries down, and obviously drill out the holes for the base of the plenum. Once I can get this stuff tacked out I can start figuring out my plenum itself.