Talk about anything and everything
volkster
Learner
Learner

I'm one of you now!

Post by volkster »

Hello all,

Greetings from Winona Lake, IN, USA!

I'm looking forward to learning about the Isuzu Impulse, sharing what I've learned, and hopefully getting lots of helpful hints from you and this forum.

I just bought an 89 Impulse turbo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0987412724

I've been looking for the right rear-wheel drive manual transmission car for a while. I hope this is it.

What do you think of my purchase?
Piazzish

Post by Piazzish »

Welcome! Congratulations with your "new" car! Love the late type JR's!
Whats the plans for the car ?
I would recomend to look over the car, and do some service on it if necessary! Especially check if nessecary to change clutch fluid, transmission fluid, and rear diff fluid! People ofthen forget these. All my cars needed a change when I got them...
1989 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Lotus Turbo Red 92000km
1989 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Lotus Turbo White 183000km
1987 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Pre-Lotus Turbo Red 131000km
1984 Isuzu Piazza JR130 N/A Two-tone 145000km
1984 Isuzu Piazza JR130 N/A Black 92000km
1989 Isuzu Gemini JT190 Red 173000km
volkster
Learner
Learner

Post by volkster »

We'll see when I pick it up...

So far, the obvious needs are high pressure power steering line and he says the throw-out bearing is noisy... so probably a whole new clutch... not sure if I should put an OEM clutch in or go ahead and get a Stage 2.

I usually replace plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on new cars (at least I always did before when I bought cars that had them!) And I will check all the fluids.

After that...

I haven't had a chance to search this forum much, is there a list of mods and suggested order to do them in?

My plan is to have a commuter car that is fun to drive- some compromise between fast and nimble but still dependable and comfortable.... oh, and I'm a notorious cheep skate!
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Welcome Volkster. Nice ride. What's the condition of the duco like? Hopefully you won't have too trouble finishing off those 'needs some work' items that the previous owner talked about. In any case we're here to help where possible. Stage 2 clutch should be fine, but I would recommend checking the condition of your engine first by performing some basic things like compression and/or leak down test. That way you'll have a solid idea of the state of your motor.
Skrilla

Post by Skrilla »

Check the rockers and fenders for rust.Check this forum its based in the States theres a few of us with JRs.They look awesome in black good luck and keep us posted.
http://www.isuzone.org/forums/
If you boost it,they will run!!
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

When you get the car, open the hood and inspect the shock towers around the base on each side for rust. Imfamous for rusting and failing at this spot.

Check the rear rockers for rust, as the sunroof drains empty into the rockers through the B pillars, and they don't drain very efficiently. If you don't want to remove the plastic rocker covers you can check them by removing a plastic plug found in the rear wheel wells and put your finger through the hole. Removing the covers is the best way.

Rear hatch at the base of the glass as well as the body seam under the hatch can sometimes be spots where rust forms.

Floor pan seam found just after the firewall on the bottom of the car is known to be a rust area, also check the body seam at the rockers around the door by pulling up the carpet at the sill.

Not to discourage you, but you just bought something that will take a lot of patience and money to maintain and keep on the road in factory condition. Parts are scarce and sometimes difficult to locate. When you do find them they can sometimes be very expensive.

If you do need some parts though, let me know. I have a huge pile of crap from tearing my car down to build it as a track/street car.
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"