Rear lights - switching earlier style for later?

DMZ
Probationary
Probationary

Rear lights - switching earlier style for later?

Post by DMZ »

By this I mean having a (UK) HBL with the smooth back, and (a slightly damaged set of) the rear lights style with the reversing light at the bottom - yet also having on the shelf a perfect set of the original style (reversing light in middle, horizontal lies etc).

The configuration/plugs/sockets are different. I don't want to permanently alter the wiring harness, ideally I want to make an adapter using the corresponding socket/plug and bridging them so it can all be switched out easily. Has anyone swapped the lights over and maybe made adapters for the wiring?
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I'm doing it the opposite way on mine, since I have a few sets of the old style ones i'm taking the socket off one set and attaching it to the HBL lights.

How do the HBL lights connect originally though? All I see is a floppy circuit board with the tracks exposed and no socket.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

You guys probably know better than I do, but as I recall, normal "spade" connectors are used so it shouldn't be a problem to make an adaptor. (Kudos BTW - I've always adapterated rather than butcherated. And the rewards have been reaped when returning to OEM or transferring to other vehicles.)

And I'm sure any circuit differences (maybe the blown stop bulb sensor) can be solved.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
DMZ
Probationary
Probationary

Post by DMZ »

There seems to be 4 bulb spaces in the older style (reverse light in middle) and 5 on the later ones (as on the HBL cars)...any thoughts on that? Anyone aware of variations in the configuration? Rear fog light a variant maybe?

The HBL does have a connector on it -?; its just different...my lights are certainly properly connected!

I could do with a connector from a non-HBL wiring harness to plug into the non-HBL lights, if anyone has one, just might make making an adapter neater...(preferably also the connector from the back of the HBL light unit so I'm simply bridging the reverse connectors, rather than altering the harness...if you know what i mean...other than that it'll just be a more faffy adaptation...)
DMZ
Probationary
Probationary

Post by DMZ »

IZU069 wrote:Kudos BTW - I've always adapterated rather than butcherated.
Yes...that's my ethos too; I sometimes like to do different things, but it's nice to be able to switch back easily. Ideally I'll make an adapter with the right ends just to be able to unplug and switch back if so desired.
DMZ
Probationary
Probationary

Post by DMZ »

Bugle wrote:How do the HBL lights connect originally though? All I see is a floppy circuit board with the tracks exposed and no socket.
On closer inspection, you are right; the connector from the wiring harness clips into the back of the plastic light frame and contacts the circuit board. The original style lights do however have a proper socket...wiring very simple; shouldn't be too problematic. Many things to do first though!