JR120 Turbo

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

JR120 Turbo

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Sorry about the repost guys, i had to move the pictures from one server to another and as such rendered my previous post useless. Chris, delete it if you like.

Anyhow, just a recap of what the piece of shit actually is.

86 JR120 Piazza Turbo, Aus delivered 5speed with all the good stuff like LSD, cruise, elec windows and all your other bullshit Piazza stuff. Its also the "fashion pack" [not sure what they were thinking by calling it that, maybe they realised it was abit of a hairdressers car, who knows] model which means ugly black front spoiler.

156,000km on the clock, not sure wether they are genuine or not but it goes well enough. JDM spec turbo, which means oil cooled only core. Apart from the Whiteline27mm front swaybar, car is ex-factory. Will post some photos abit later on of where its currently at.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Ok so it didnt take as long as i thought it would...anyway...

Basically the paint on the bonnet, roof and hatch was best described as rooted so I thought id give the car a lick of paint before i slid behind the wheel again. Bodywork was fairly straight to begin with, with only a couple of minor knocks on the rear beaver and rear 1/4, and other then the rust in the hatch the shell was perfect.

These pics are already old as ive progressed abit further. The bog filling the indicator screw holes on the 1/4 panels are now smoothed out and flat. Ill be fitting the clear type off the new Statesmans - a nice, plain rectangular clear lens. Started beating and filling the rear dents, so far one of the quarters and one of the dents on the beaver is finished and in high fill - again ill get pics of this soonish.

Paint will be Ford XR6 Chilli Red - i am currently considering getting BMW 'Hell Rot' [known as Brilliant Red in the Aus BMW Catalogues] instead so we will see how it goes.

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Had to take the hard way of removing the front bar didn't ya :) How did you manage without removing the headlights or grille?

How was the rear spoiler attached? Just glued on?
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

I think the spoiler thing was part of the "Formula pack". Not sure. Mines got it too, possible it was a std thing on a run of manuals. That and the tailgate spoiler.

My manual had the oil only turbo too. When i got the car it had the turbo off the auto on it. It was a water and oil turbo and they hadnt hooked up the water lines. Yeah thats a smart move, broken shaft.

How much were the statesman lights. I want to put a set of them on my little KB20 ute when its painted. Its got similar lights on the guards to the Piazza ones.
I want to move them to behind the wheel. I rekon you should do the same with your Piazza.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote:Had to take the hard way of removing the front bar didn't ya :) How did you manage without removing the headlights or grille??
I went the hard way. Removed nothing. Removed two that way and now ive got to put one back on. A comfy pilow is all you need, oh and patience, 1/12 of a turn at a time. lol.

Bob.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah it's the formula pack.. The front spoiler is alright makes the nose look a bit shorter. Although would've been better if they colour coded it.

lol sometimes its easier and faster to remove surrounding bits to get to the bit you want.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Howd i take the front bumper off? *shudder*....

I took the indicators off the bar and reached in behind there with the spanner. My hands arent exactly small either, so ive got alot of cuts and bruises to show for it.

Bob, the statesman indicators are around $10 a pair last time i bought some, hopefully they still are.

Yeah i agree the front spoiler makes the car look better, although its beyond me why it isnt colour coded. Mines been sprayed over in black at some stage...funny that im sanding it off and its red underneath? The Jap ones seem to be colour coded, i wonder if they are the rubber type or fibreglass/plastic. Rear spoiler was glued on, not sure if ill put it back on depends on what i figure out with this rust. If i can plate it up nice and neat enough it stays off.

Nick-
dazza
Learner
Learner

Post by dazza »

mate you think thats a ugly spoiler you wait till you see mine soon as i work out how to upload the pics,you'll all have a laugh the only reason i haven't taken it off is the amount of rust underneth.
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Howd i take the front bumper off? *shudder*....
I believe their was already a post regarding "how to take the spoiler off" Does anyone remember where it was?
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Yeah, i was the one that posted it because i couldnt for the life of me find the location of the bolts. I ended up doing it my way, see below:

I took the indicators off the bar and reached in behind there with the spanner. My hands arent exactly small either, so ive got alot of cuts and bruises to show for it.

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Probably because the bolts look like they're only holding on the tow attachments. Should be able to see them now. Just the 2 in line with the chassis rail.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Bob reckons i dont do enough...

Ive been a busy boy today. Depending on wether or not im in a good mood tomorow, might do the bonnet, front quarters and roof. Like i said, depends on my mood.

Nick-
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Paint dries good on a nice warm day.

i might send you a PM if your lucky.

Cheers. Bob.