JR120 Turbo

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

wtf how does oil get all the way to the airbox?
With my stuffed turbo it was just sitting around the inlet to the turbo as well as having a nice coating of it in the intake pipes after the turbo.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Fucked if i know. This is the amusing bit. I wiped all the pipes dry inside when i had them off to do the alternator, took the bend one that goes from the intake pipe to the airbox [plastic one] and its dry as a bone inside. Yet theres a whole heap of oil down near the airbox. Fucked if i know whats going on, turbo bearings are getting abit rattly too so i think it is probably the turbo causing the dramas. Looks like i wont be getting rego anytime soon.

I guess ill get a quote on what its going to cost to rebuild, a mate reckons it shouldnt cost more then 500. If its upto 500 then i will be getting it done, if its over...well, the car wont be seeing tarmac anytime soon.

Poor old Gemini, looks like its budget is going to go to a bigger turbo for the Piazza, along with the EMS...Thatll be enough methinks, im still clutching at straws until i know 100% that its dead.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Stress less dude, youve come this far.

Clean that oil shit up with some degreaser and get the RWC.
I doubt the turbo is as stuffed as you think it is, if it was the car would blow smoke. Unless youve got that many plumbing leaks that the oil wont get there.

If you want to be sure rip it off and take it down and get a kit put thru it. Shouldnt cost that much to get a seal kit put thru it. The worst thing is you have to get the new gaskets from holden to bolt it back on. Cost me over $100 for two sets. You can buy the seal kits on eBay for under US$100.

Stop being a drama Queen.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

I cant go get the roady. RWC Joint i was getting it from is closed, there is no way someone else will give me one. Its also dropping way too much oil, i nearly killed myself when the oil hit the LH Disc. Its fair fucked. Bearings are begining to rattle now aswell so its pretty much The End for this turbo.

Im going to have to give ATS a call, they wont be open for atleast another week though. A mate said it should cost me about 500 through them, thats bearings and all. The old man was saying for us to give it a go ourselves.....this is coming from someone thats too scared to do the headgasket on the BMW. If its going to cost me more then $500 to fix its simply not worth it, ill scrap the car and sell it as parts.

Just kidding. Ill put the EMS DualSport for the Gemini on, get a bigger turbo, intercooler, etc etc. That should sort out my problems.

Its not about being a drama queen, its just incredibly frustrating. Nothing has gone right since day one.

Nick-
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

You sure its stuffed???? lol
If it rattles it is, but it should be blowin heaps of smoke.

Dont mean to profit from your loss but i will sling you a few bucks for the turbo so dont go stuffing the wheels on it. I want the shaft in it.
DONT TOTALLY FUCK IT.

I have got one here that i might let you use as a loaner. If that will help you get it on the road, and i get it back in similar condition.
Its the subaru one with the Piazza housing on the back, you will have to make up and airbox inlet adapter. Theres no flange for the inlet hose to go on. The std subaru job is a 90deg elbow and i dont even have that.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

The oil under the air box is very strange, not squirting overe there from anywhere else?
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-ISUZ ... 1654QQrdZ1

If you could convince them to ship to Australia this could be alright. But you'd wanna do surface post for it to be economical which would take over a month.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

The oil under the air box is very strange, not squirting over there from anywhere else?
I am thinking the same as Bugle, how can oil get to the airbox if the pipes are clean and dry? makes no sense. Are you sure the oil isn't firing up from below from a burst PS pipe or getting thrown there by the pulleys from a leaking front crank seal? The turbo can't be chuckin it there unless it is magic airbox seeking oil and there is a little bloke running up and down inside the pipes wiping them clean just to fool you.

The direction is wrong surely, Air comes in through the airbox and AFM and goes TO the turbo, after that it goes out the turbo and through the intercooler back up to the throttle body, if the tubo was chucking out oil that is where it should be. With the engine doing the suck thing and the turbo doin the blow thing it would be a hard ask for oil to be transported backwards against the force. Even Darth Vader couldn't overcome the force young skywalker. Have a second look :finga:
So many cars, so little cash
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Ok, here goes...

I havent really had the time to investigate, there is definately some bearing noise from the turbo though so thats hinting towards something being majorly wrong. Its definately not a front main crank seal as the only oil is on the airbox/turbo side of the engine and its not spray as would be from the pulley, moreso pools of oil. Its got me fucking stumped. I havent had the chance to pull any more of the pipes off yet, i just know the airflow metre is bone dry and that there is a whole heap of oil underneath it. Are there any major oil lines running around in that direction?

Im pretty sure ive killed the turbo but it just doesnt add up. It comes on boost, it freaking flys [i was getting wheelspin into second with three people in the car, and yes the LSD IS working] and its reported to not smoke. Fucking weird. Im going to don the overalls and have abit of a look-see now, ill see if i can come up with any more.

Nick-
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Thought i forgot something...

View from underneath.

Radiator area

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Maybe there is a hole in one of the silicone intake hoses spraying oil out?

What's with the rings on that hose there, they're supposed to all be in their individual grooves to stop the hose expanding..
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

umm isnt that just your oil sump leaking?? :cyclops:
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Second thought, go clean (degrease) the engine bay start her up and see where it coming from. Obvisly it is Engine oil and by the looks of it it is DIRTY!!!!
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
shorty

Post by shorty »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TO4B-EXTERNALLY- ... dZViewItem

this looks like the exact same turbo that i am running on mine and it goes likes a dream with it on. stuff paying $500 to get the piazza one rebuilt just buy this one and have some real fun.

i haven't seen anyone mention this but could it be that your turbo feed lins is lose on the engine side or there is a stuffed seal on it. that would make it possible to shot if it came out at the right angle to land where it is???
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

This is the only thing holding me back from going for another turbo - all the other shit i need to mod! Manifold will need some welding work, ill need to match the dump pipe to the rest of the exhaust, cooler piping will need to be modified. To get the best of it i may aswell fit an A/M ECU and a rodeo dizzy, along with a rodeo manifold and get the whole lot tuned. Seeing as the exhaust needs mods may aswell get a 3", oh and all the cooler piping has been redone so i should get a bigger cooler too! As you can see, $500 quickly turns to 3000....

I dont think its a loose line causing the prob, as it would constantly drain all my oil with the car on. Sump is definately ok, think about it Chris - sump is in the MIDDLE, oil spray is to the left. Dont add up. If it was sump it would also drip itself empty on my garage floor.

Nick-