Shipping cars across the Tassy

Forum news and updates.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shipping cars across the Tassy

Post by wedgenut »

On a recent post there was some garbage talk about sending a car across the ditch and much conjecture about what and how much would be involved.

To settle it I got a quote from this end and I thought those interested parties might like to see the result.
This is only the one company but they will all be telling the same story so the short answer is IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN:

Anyhoo here is the quote and bear in mind this does not include any hassles you might have with compliance issues.

Please find the costs of relocating a motor vehicle to Australia

IMPORT PERMIT: $50AUD

* The first thing you will need to do is apply for an import permit. This costs $50AUD and can take up to 20 working days to process and be approved.

PLEASE NOTE – You will have to have owned and used you motor vehicle for 12 months in order to gain approval

SHIPPING: $3190NZD - $3700NZD

*This includes all port service and handling charges and customs clearances in Australia. It also includes containerization, a full plywood crate being built around your vehicle inside the container for added protection. This is for a depot to depot service.

Once your vehicle reaches Australia you will be liable for additional charges. These are payable in Australian dollars and are not controlled by our company.

DUTIES AND TAXES: 20% of the landed value of your vehicle

*Your vehicle will be valued in Australia by an Australian dealer and you will be required to pay 20% of this value in duties and GST. The valuation will cost around $200UAD.

STEAM CLEAN IF REQUIRED: $473AUD

*This does not always happen, if your car is as clean as you can possibly get it they may not want to do this on the other side. Check mudflaps are clean and there are no leaves under the bonnet.

ON ROAD COSTS: $1000AUD approx

*License plates and registration. Our agent in Australia can tell you who to contact regarding this.

QUARANTINE INSPECTION FEE: $200AUD approx

*If quarantine do decide to inspect your vehicle you would need to pay this fee.

Kind regards,

Rebecca Watts
Relocation Consultant
rebecca@ausmove.co.nz
So many cars, so little cash
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

That was sort of what i had in mind.

My mate just bought his motorbike back form the UK. Was a bit of mucking about.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

I would have to say thoe if I had the money I would get a car from your neck of the woods and have it sent to the states, do you know how cool that would be?

ofcourse you do , you guys get to live it every day, while I sit and dream...Smiles
Isuzu impulse turbo, my weapon of choice!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Me? I'm waitng for technology to catch up so i can email or fax a car to the other side of the world. Or better still beam it across cyberspace. Don't laugh Scotty could do it on Star Trek and thats real isn't it?????
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

LOL, yeah you right... or better yet just think of it and its there. now thats what I call express
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I thought they'd do hyperspace/jumps before the "transporter". I was wrong!
They have a "tranpsorter", tough I think (still) only at atomic or sub-atomic levels.
Let's pray it isn't digital!
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

LOL
mr.
Learner
Learner

Post by mr. »

Is this a Shipping lecture or something? LOL Anyways.. There are rules to be followed in order to ship items except if they don't exceed the maximum weight of a shipping delivery.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

It's an old thread...

Beware my dear Learner. With time you will note the "last reply" date.
And with time, you too may still wake a dead or sleeping thread by mistake (like a certain moderator I know that joined 14 Sep 2005 - but you probably aren't as stoopid as he is).

But yes, cars are ok in shipping containers etc. But the $2k to $4k and higher shipping fees usually makes it impractical for these "cheap" vehicles.

Otherwise there is probably the common-ish 20kg or 1-meter or similar limits.
And we'd quarantine anything and clean for bugs & soil etc.
And you'd probably face a "no exporting of hi-tech" ban (LOL! Those digi-dashes and other CPUs!)

But for things like lights, lenses, dash, ECUs and similar, let's say this site has a great advantage with its international reach. And of course, New Zealand.

And you might have noticed a certain humour on this site... Your "LOL anyways" makes you amply qualified.
But I was serious about my transporter vs hyperspace. I really thought hyperspace would occur before transported technology. And forgetting the "hype" of digital transporters and delay-ridden wormholes, cracking gravity and hence "hyperspace" IMO should be easier than projecting or even transporting through space (hyperspace transporters excluded of course!).

But enough hijacking. We only ever discuss Piazzas on this site. Else how recalcitrant the poms - I mean, Scots are.
Never anything light hearted like science.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Be very careful Pete, I may know where you live, and I may happen to know some nefarious characters with a propensity for violence that I could introduce to your knees. I am not recalcitrant, and I love talking about things other than Piazzas, for example I quite like talking about the impulse, Kawasaki motorcycles, wide arse women with low moral boundaries, particularly scandanavian ones.

Foirget the threat, I am to old and lazy for that, you come over here and bring your own hoodlums and have them beat you up while I watch with a beer in my hand. :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers:
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Wide arse women with low moral boundaries...Scandinavian variety...Me like. Would you have some pics to share? You know, for research purposes.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

So if I'm also into Cum&SuckMe's, and I'm Scandinavian...

Oops!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Yes I know you are a fish eater from the snowy north, but now you are a "BJORN AGAIN" Ozzie. Sorry I couldn't help that.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Sht!
yABBA dABBA do just doesn't compete does it?

At least this forum doesn't have the GREaTA GARBOage of the others..

Nah - I surrender. I admit defeat.