New Idea.. Importing UK-OZ (big images)

Talk about anything and everything
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

New Idea.. Importing UK-OZ (big images)

Post by Chris »

Well before piazzas their was the VW Scirocos and Corrados for me..

Here is one I found, if I go after a GT60 than I should be fine regarding the 15 year old import law however the VR6 is faster but still a 1995 model.

Import will cost me $8000 (gst shipping more gst insurance etc..).. This is my dream car since I was a kid. What do you guys reckon worth it?

Grandma past awhile ago and left me with abit of dosh.. so I could waste it all on this beauty!?
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Yes Chris very nice but it is a bloody German car, Oh hang on you are a bloody German anyway so you deserve each other. Why don't you import a turbo Isuzu Piazza from NZ instead, I have a very nice Nero Irmscher Turbo auto or an extremely horny Turbo Manual you could purchase instead. To hell with it buy both of them and you would still be better off.
So many cars, so little cash
graham

Post by graham »

go for it !!!!!!!!! they are brilliant engines, the vr6 that is, a few years back i had a vw golf vr6 (im a poor bastard couldnt affford the corrado) it was a great car, when i bought it, it was a 1992 year with 246000 miles on it MILES that is not k's and it was as good as the day it rolled out the factory, i sold it after about a year or so to a friend of a friend of a friend type of thing, and its still going strong on the origonal engine and gearbox and although vw say the timming chain should be replaced every 1000000 miles i can confirm they will go beyond 280000 as that is what the car is sitting at just now, as far as performance goes it was amazing for a car of that size the power to weight ratio is incredible even though the b.h.p figure isnt that great but these engines and cars rolled out in the early 90's long before the civic type r, i regularly blew away my friend in his subaru imprezza sti wrx the mid range power in the vr6 engine is brilliant, he could catch me in 5th but couldnt pass me, because, i have it on good authority that the speedo will read 160 mph(i will of course deny that to the screws) thats MPH not k's with no engine modifications on a flat road well only mods were full stainless exhaust and a k£n filter. if your serious i was going to say il go and check over anything your interested in buying and exporting from the uk (within reasonable travelling distance) so you dont get shafted as i have previous knowledge of this engine and il take my mechanic mate along for extra insurance, but you fukd that up when you made unpleasant comments about my modified mg holden cheeky barsteward!!!!!, only kiddin that offer does stand good luck in your quest :finga:
I have two piazzas, one on each side of the world.
graham

Post by graham »

dont listen to the old man (i can say that now that im back in my safe bubble 20,000 k's away) ha ha sorry dad, but he is only interested in reducing his fleet
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

There is no 15 year old import law now, since they started importing 11ty billion 1989 R32 Skylines and various other rusty Jap shitboxes they changed the law so that cars must be made in 1988 or older. Doubt there'd be any compliance workshops set up to compliance those things?
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

they changed the law so that cars must be made in 1988 or older.
Does this mean that anything older than 1988, like 1985 piazza for example is able to be imported without any hassle? or are there some nasty little fish hooks.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

There's still stuff to do to get it complianced but yea seems there's no restrictions on what cars you can import.
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

since it isnt a jap import, how much do you reckon compliance would be..?
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Chris
The following link may help you, from what I can see there should be no problem getting a pre 1989 Piazza into OZ but if it is after 1989 registered you will have to meet ADR approvals. There are some traps though, you have to have purchased the car prior to importing it and if you get your application refused you might be stuck with a car you can't import. Would need careful thought and planning I think and maybe talk to a vehicle importer and pay for some advice if you have to.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

sorry forgot to add the link I mentioned

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/
graham

tut tut

Post by graham »

now then dad i know you are wanting to reduce your fleet and you are being mighty helpful there, but its a veeeeeeeee dubya thats v.w to you. the mans thinking about that car that hes posted all the pictures of as he said in his text a wee bit further up the page he used to have moist moments about them,and who could blame him they do look good, i think your flogging a dead horse there but good luck anyway, i love how you never miss an opportunity :bom:
graham

Post by graham »

p.s is that a bit of dimentia creeping in there, forgetting the link you were talking about, i think all that piazza info is swirling around in your head and taking over your brain, its a worry :rolleyes:
Virtual-R
Technical Admin
Technical Admin

Post by Virtual-R »

Make sure you get full comp insurance if you buy it, will be damn hard to source parts if you are in an accident. Best to get the insurance and then you can just make a claim and let them work out how to get the parts lol
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Parts availability will probably make the insurance company put the price up heaps so that it's not worth insuring!
Found the list of importable cars, Corrado is actually in there http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/sevsindex.htm

But whether there's a workshop that has the compliance plates is another matter.. JT Gemini is on the list but i'm pretty sure there's no longer anyone who will compliance them.

Also, FWD sucks dick :finga:
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

FWD only sucks dick when the driver hasnt got enaugh arm muscle to hold the steering wheel straight while putting his foot down! lol

Thanks for all the info.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!