Giorgetto Giugiaro

Talk about anything and everything
vinnie55

Giorgetto Giugiaro

Post by vinnie55 »

(beware, this thread involves much rambling about shit all)

Right. So yesterday my brother saw a suburu SVX at a workshop.
Insane looking thing, crazy windows, piazza level of crazy electronics, crazy seats etc.
apparently this one needed about 8 grand spent on it or else it would become a garden ornament tho.

Also, I started talking about it on Face Space, and immediately someone else on there said he had seen another one on the same day.
what are the chances?
wonder how rare they are in comparison to our piazza's?

If you are not familiar with this car, look here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEi9oNne ... ded#at=357

And so I immediately recognized it as one of the piazza's long lost cousins, designed by Guigario, and just as crazy in many ways.

I then went on to look at a wikipedia list of how many cars he has styled....
turns out I have 4 of them in my house.

WTF?

how did that happen?

you guys probably don't remember, but before I went all piazza crazy I had (well still have 1) two similar shaped cars called Renault Fuegos.

WELL. they aren't styled by him dispite looking the same, nor is the predecessor the renault 17, which my dad has one of as well. but Renault 19's and 20's are.

I took great interest in some renault 20's I saw at a wreckers that looked in good nick....despite being in a wreckers.......... and now recycled metal most likely....
I was pretty keen on them, but held off of getting one because that would be just silly right?
I herd only like.... 7 were sold in south australia (how accurate that figure is I don't know) but.... rare as.

.....and renault 19's.
WELL.
there are a few different designs of renault 19, but as far as I'm aware Giugiaro designed the "face lifted" model...... Which my dad has one which was his first, and only ever brand new car. we still have it, I learned to drive in it, and it's still my dad's daily. been crashed and repaired many times.
my brother has a pre facelift model.
and ..we came accross another nice red facelifted one that had been crashed, it's been in storage for a year or so now, but finally my other brother is taking it to a crash repairer.

...and obviously I have 2 piazza's.....not that I've shown off the 2nd one yet, but it's one i bought from eyecon.

so there you have it.

4 cars design by giugiaro
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Rambling about shit all? Sorry - I don't understand... (ha ha!!)

There was the "pack of four" or "4-Aces" that were designed. I thought it was Piazza, Subaru, and maybe Mazda (626) but maybe that was just its similarity. And I think the Back To The Future DeLorean DMC-12.
Alas all that is now a blurr - like the guy that designed the Jensen being the same as the Isuzu 117 (I picked that by the rear end & window) and the RB Gemini (I never picked that one!)

Funny too that I was keen on the Fuego (despite being Renault - I used to love (NOT!) working on the Renault 12's, but that's another story), and its 1/2" (14.5"?) rims were a concern.

Obviously some people's good tastes result in more cars than the other (IMHO!) good-taste people on this forum.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another car designed by Giurgiano.

Post by sbs »

Hi folks,
Giurgiano was also responsible for the styling of the Lotus Esprit, for those who love their James Bond movies you will remember the car appearing in two or three of the 1970,s films.
Personally I think he got it just right with the Lotus and the finish is smarter than the Piazza, however a Lotus will set you back $ 25,000 for a half decent 30 year old model as opposed to the $ 4,000 for our cars. I think I'll stick with Piazzas!
Catch you later, sbs.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

The 4 aces were thought to be Audi Quattro, the Delorean DMC, the BMW M1, and last but not least the Piazza.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Just because you list in reverse order (and last but greatest...).

I'm certain I've seen a good blurb on Giurgiaro's Aces designs but I've had no luck finding it - maybe because it took a while to stop searching under Giurgiano (who spellt that? lol!), else it's a hardcopy....

But as examples, the Ass to Pick, or Asso di Picche (Ace of Spades; Audi) - see here - most attractive. (Not! (IMO) That's an Asso I would choose not to pick!) (Spades is Death, right?)

And as a comparison, the mighty 117 (originally built on a Florian pan, & apparently the first Japanese EFI (G200W, as later used in the Piazza) - see JapaneseNostalgicCar's 1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition - though is the author confusing the 117 with the Piazza? (117's were circa 1966 compared to the Piazza 1979. I saw my first Asso di Fiori (Ace of Clubs) Piazza at the Melbourne Motor Show in 1980.)

The BMW M1 is another Giurgiaro, but is it an Ace? Maybe it is since it shares a "lemon" with the Piazza - see http://www.is-it-a-lemon.com/used-car-h ... bmw-m1.htm. (Readers may be aware of Tony Davis' book "Extra Lemon!" which features the Piazza - "Italian for Dud" on p46.)

Alas I have to peel off for my JobSearch appointment (peel off, ha ha, get it?) in my Extra Lemon Isuzu Minx-based Wasp (ibid: p148), so I'll have to slice this research here.

Other refs:
WikiPedia's Giorgetto Giugiaro (I don't see my mentioned RB Gemini listed.)
ItalDesign (As I recall, the Bellett was a Bertone design)
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Hmm, I can't remember what the 4th ace was..
They have 3 on their website
BMW http://www.italdesign.it/project/bmw-ka ... quadri-eng
Audi http://www.italdesign.it/project/audi-k ... picche-eng
Isuzu http://www.italdesign.it/project/isuzu- ... -fiori-eng

Actually I don't think there was a 4th car...
1986 Piazza - 1984 Piazza
1986 Heron MJ1
www.mvpc.co.nz www.ihwedding.co.nz
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I thought it was the DeLorean. (As a definite Ace.)

I recall my guru mentioning Subaru, but that may have been in relation to these designs (ie, NOT one of the Aces), and I recall the Mazda 626 (circa 1980s) but that may have been " a relation" else mentioned by me as one of MY few desirable body-shapes. (A I recall, I once responded "ah - that explains the 626". But like so many other amazing info gleaned from my guru, I'd have to find my scribblings.)

But to quote our great JFK (Jeff Kennett), the past is the past. (Oh - Johnny PA Howard too.)

IMO I think we have the best....
And I certainly think factually - the one that has most revolutionised other cars.
(And LOL - cemented the start of the end of GM-Isuzu.. Yay!)
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

There is alot more. I actually spoke to him on the phone few years ago :)

He also designed a fair few more cars with his company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italdesign_Giugiaro

He still works for Nikon i think

This is an old post that has all the details I believe. Gemini Coupe wrote a nice big history about him and the many many cars he influenced shaping

http://www.isuzupiazza.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo