Piazza_man project

Talk about anything and everything
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I will watch with interest but here is a tip for when you fit the three leg spoiler. On cars with this fitted the rear wiper parks vertical up on the right hand side instead of down along the bottom. I suppose this is to allow access for changing the blade. If you want that set up it doesn't require a new wiper motor. It is just a case of taking the wheel cover off the motor and resetting the park position to suit. It is already set up for that so it isn't a bodge job. The wiper arm is a different shape as well but the standard one works just as well. ( its what I have) It means at rest that the arm is on and angle instead of in alignment with the edge of the glass.

If none of this makes sense let me know and I will email you some pictures
So many cars, so little cash
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Yes crystal clear. I was aware of this but I was going to cross that bridge when I got to it. I guess I was always hoping the existing motor could be re-adjusted. Thanks for the heads up. That's great news. Are any of those bent versions available in Oz or NZ? No biggy. I'd still be happy using the existing one like you have.

BTW sorry to hear about the Warriors grand final loss (hehe) :)
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Haven't found one yet but there must be something similar but I guess you would need to graft the original wiper box end on to a bent section to retin the wash connection and original motor taper piece. not worth the hassle. You could probably just give it a bit of a tweak with some prejudice and make it happen
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Sounds like too much of a hassle. Think I'll stick to plan A with the original setup and repositioned.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Yeah when I first fitted a spoiler like that I thought I would have to change the wiper motor as well but a bit of poking around inside the wheel box revealed the answer. You just need to get your head around which way is which or you might end up with the arm trying to park straight down toward the bumper and munching itself on the middle leg of your new spoiler. A minties moment for sure.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Maybe I should sort that out before I fit the spoiler. That would be the smart move. Thanks again mate.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Here are some more tips, if you already have a rubber spoiler fitted the two outside holes will line up with the three leg job, you will need to drill two holes for the centre leg, one to secure and one for the wiring. On the ends of the three leg there are two more holes up the side of the window and the original fitment car has two capture nuts built in but you can just use self tappers, preferably SS, and a bit of sealant with them. If you go to the hardware store you can get those plastic cups for screws that have a press on cap to cover the screw head and that finsihes them off nicely. The spoiler should also come with rubber gaskets as well. If not cut some from 3mm thick insertion rubber.

Can you tell I've done this before?

White one has the genuine arm with the kink in it and the red one is standard arm with park quadrant re configured.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I might see if I can still get the bent arm and motor from the States.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Need some help guys. Can't decide which steering wheel to get. I'll be upgrading the exiting SAAS wheel (sorry Dave) to a Momo tiller. Problem is there are too many nice ones and each of these wheels that I have put below have that something I like about it:
Net AirMetal - Reason? Racier but classier and stylish with the chrome ring inserts. I also like the grey embroidered logo on top (to tie-in with grey interior and exterior).

Treck R - Reason? A bit racier but still stylish. I also like the flatter bottom (I'm 195cm tall and it would make it more practical)

Millennium EVO - Reason? Very opulent/classy. The centre piece is reminiscent of the original Piazza wheel so it would probably tie in well with the original design but have a more modern feel.

Nero - Reason? Nice detail with chrome ring inserts. I also like the name (for all you Piazza buffs out there)

Quake - Reason? Simple but still nice

Any constructive comment to help me decide would be welcome.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Hmmm... Millennium EVO? Reason - as per yours, and is round hence no legal issues.

FYI - I regretted not getting a flat-bottom like the Trek when I first got the Wasp. Autobarn had a yellow one for ~$90 (Momo?, SAAS?) when I first got my yellow Wasp. By the time I got back, it was gone.
Waspy now has a Piazza wheel which makes it that bit easier to "wedge" in to the (MX5) seat. But the original wheel was way to big (16"-17" compared to Piazza 14.5").
My concern was the apparent non-legality of non-round steering wheels, but I would have argued necessity (to get in... plus safety to get out!). But even if my old CAMS license didn't impress the police, I'm sure the yellow color matching would have.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

So I take it then that one of those quick release hubs is not street legal. I was thinking about that for the added security aspect. Could it be legal with an engineers certificate?
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

The legals tend to vary with state/territory, though many are now conforming.

But I'd expect an engie certificate would make it legal subject to the certificate conditions - ie, road, competition etc. (IE, an Eng could say it is street safe (but that it does not comply with laws), or it is safe and that "this certificate" therefore makes it legal as per regulation xyz, etc.)
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I'm going for an engineers certificate when all work us completed anyway, so I will ask about that too.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

It HAS to be the NERO. If you choose anything else I will send a plague of locusts to eat your ballsac. It also happens to be the nicest. The only other thing you could look out for is a Lotus trispoke off a Bighorn Lotus or momo four spoke (LIKE MINEEEEEEE) from an Bighorn Irmscher. Same wheel as the Piazza Irmscher. The bonus is you get the hub that way as well and it is easy to modify for the Piazza horn pick up and indicator cancel.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Stop fiddling! Piazza's BURN off the competition anyhow....

But good point - and I though the Nero was flat-bottomed, but it ain't. (It's a tough choice - I'm not that keen on the Nero center button, but rim looks "softer"...)

I hadn't thought of the Isuzu handling-pak options or BigHorn for my wheels. Maybe that's what I need to complete my Bellett/Wasp/Florian "handling" instead of their original big wheels & current Piazza wheel...