IR89 - back in action.

Talk about anything and everything
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

I'll check it out lol. I want to make a correction. I said 10kg for the factory, but its actually a little over 8kg (around 20lbs). No idea why I had that other number in my head.
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

The BW 8374 also looks the goods. Did you think this one might have been too big/more lag?
ImpulseRocket89

eyecon wrote:The BW 8374 also looks the goods. Did you think this one might have been too big/more lag?
I seriously considered the 8374, but I decided against it for a couple of reasons.

1, even with porting and a more aggressive cam profile our engines are still limited on VE. I have seen two dynos done on two comparable US STi's, which have similar displacement to our engines and slightly better but still not as good of a VE as most DOHC 16 valve engines. I feel that based on these facts the only way you would really start to see the gain of going with a turbo that flows as much as the 8374 you would have to go to at least 30psi, and beyond. The 7670 on the other hand 30psi and below is a better match and will respond much better. Around the 28-30psi range, I am confident the 8374 would start to make more power than the 7670 though.

Here are links to above mentioned STi dynos.
This is the 7670 EFR with the twin scroll .92 A/R with Internal Wastegate. Fuel was pump gas (91 or 93 US octane) and Meth injection.
http://www.ofps.net/efr/wp-content/uplo ... 4747_n.jpg

This is the 8374 EFR with 1.05 External Twin scroll (same turbine I ordered) on E85 at 24psi.
http://eqtuning.com/images/dynos/ryan_s ... %20STI.png

Admittedly this comparison is not apples to apples because the engine builds are slightly different, Turbine sides are different sizes, as are the fuels, but it gives a good idea.

Lag was also a part of it. Thanks to the low inertia wheels, this turbo (The 8374) actually acts and spools like a GT35R with the power capability of a GT40R. It will come on fairly early in the lower boost ranges (people have seen 5psi in the 2500rpm range at part throttle) but even with that you will not see full boost (30psi) until 4500-5000rpm, which at that point it will pull like a freight train all the way to redline.

For a car looking to be excellent as a drag car/street car though, the 8374 is hard to beat and has a lot of room to grow. It would suit your power goals and intended use perfectly.

I went with the 7670 because I wanted something that will be good all around, and I don't plan on going beyond 30psi. I chose the 1.05 turbine because I wanted to run twin external gates as well as have the higher flow capability of the larger A/R for better power up top. The downside of the 7670 compress is, that I may experience a slight boost drop at the very end of the powerband if I spin out to 8000rpm (my math and mapping shows it can only hold about 28psi at that level) but, I can live with that. However, the potential for 600rwhp with a powerband like the above STi....I would be more than happy.
Last edited by ImpulseRocket89 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

ImpulseRocket89

no idea why that second link wont work right, but if you copy and paste it will work.

IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

You didn't include the "'s%2006%20STI.png" in the URL.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Nah still can't get it working.
ImpulseRocket89

I try and fix it and it blanks all the text from that post.... Same thing when I try it here with the URL tags. It works for me when I copy and paste the whole line, so I don't know why you are having problems.

Some of my goodies arrived today. Most of it should be here by Friday, but for now my new bigger FPR, Megasquirt order and all of its extras, and Innovative Wideband.

My new welder showed up too, but it's staying in its box until I am ready to get it setup. Darn thing is hefty.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Looking awesome. That wouldn't be the Innovate LC-1 Wide Band Air/Fuel ratio controller would it? i have that one in my car, with the XD-16 LED dislay mounted in the cabin. What sort of coils are they in the pic?
ImpulseRocket89

Yes, that is an LC-1 controller and Bosch wideband sensor.

The Coils I purchased from DIYAutotune when I purchased the rest of it. It is called the IGN-1A on their site. Very powerful coils, built in igniters, and can be directly driven off of the MS3X. I could have gone with LS1 coils too, but these are much more powerful out of the box, so in a COP setup I can run a wider plug gap without having to worry about spark blowout. Plus, they really arent that expensive.

Link
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ign1 ... p-394.html

Getting those things mounted up on the valve cover might be interesting. They are a bit bigger than I thought they would be lol. Should fit, but you definitely will not see much valve cover.

IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Wow - a 19A ignitor! Most are probably only up to ~11A or maybe ~15A if they still use the typical Siemens-inspired transistors etc.
So you'll need an 80A alternator just for the splugs... (Just kidding.)

I've used Bosch MEC723 etc type coils which are about 0.3-0.4 Ohm primary resistance, hence over 35A, but that's with an "RG" dizzy and I reckon its ignitor limits to about 10A or so. (The RG coil is the common ND "blue" IgCoil with ~1.2 Ohm primary. The RG is the GZ series distributor (Gemini, i-Mark etc) with the later electronic guts from the FWD RB series Gemini.)

Actually howz about a CDI? IMO they were the ultimate ignitions (excluding F1 racers etc) though after fitting the RG setup I discontinued my cheap CDI. (Merely a common SMPS chip to generate a 400-550VDC rail, then adding one trigger and one discharge cap and IgCoil per output. I was intending fully sequential ignition and each extra output only added ~$2-$5 per circuit excluding the IgCoil. The base circuit was only ~$50 and probably far less wrt components etc.)

Nice to see a Megasquirt again. I haven't looked at them for a few years (was is v3.3???).

And actually I only dropped in to comment that I quoted your reply above and noted that you are merely typing the link. LOL - I'm so oldskool I always use the link methods provided, eg [img]http://eqtuning.com/images/dynos/ryan_s ... %20STI.png[/img], or [url=http://eqtuning.com/images/dynos/ryan_s ... %20STI.png]Type preferred ref name here[/url].
It seems the auto-smarts method is barking when it hits the 'apostrophe in your link.

But nice stuff. And though I dislike or disagree with (the need for) spending big on sparts etc, I definitely agree with buying them on the cheap, or while they still exist (viz $2 Bellett parts that others are now paying over $100 to have manufactured! LOL...) Not that others could be told (hence the LOL).
ImpulseRocket89

Honestly, I don't feel like I am really spending "big" on my parts. I will spend the money on the right parts that will give me the results I want and be reliable. If I really wanted to spend big, I could have easily spent 2-3 times as much as I did for all of that magnificence with a Motec EMS.

Yes, $250 for coils is still relatively pricey, but as I said, I will definitely not worry about spark blowing out. Considering I spent $1800 on the new turbocharger for my project...

A big portion of my budgeted cash is going toward the engine and driveline side of things. I am sure I will probably spend a couple grand on the brakes too when I get to that point. I have already done all of the calculations, but I want to find the CGH of the car once it is built so I can see if any adjustments need to be made.

Oh, and to answer your question, this is a Megasquirt 3 V3.57 pcb with MS3X expansion card.

ImpulseRocket89

My 54mm optical trigger disc from DIY Autotune came in. Aside from adding one hole it looks like it will work perfectly. Inner D shaped circle is exactly the same size, the rearward hole is nearly the same and I think will work without having to fiddle with it, and both sets of slots look as if they will work. Nice, cheap, and easy alternative compared to what I was looking at, and with the same basic signal resolution for cam and crank. This is at least 10 times cheaper!

New disc on top of stock one.

Stock Disc on top of new one.

My new EV6 1600cc injectors also came in, complete with full spec sheet. I must say, these are tiny!

IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

That DIY Autotune disc looks rough (cut), but as long as leading or rear edges (depending on which is sensed) are straight & smooth I guess it doesn't matter. (That's taking accurate slot position for granted.)

It's not sequential judging by its symmetry, not that that prevents "intelligent" sequentialialism.

Nice injector report too. Interesting to see the relative flow rates at varying pressure (ie, the need to have them tested at the pressure you will use).
Good to see newer disc type injectors used (4 hole presumably), and I suspect the EV6 is of the new hi-Z type - I would only have used lo-Z types in 2005, but sometime after that (circa 2007?), hi-Zs superseded lo-Zs on all behavioral aspects (IMO). (I think it was the EV14 else EV12 that I was considering...)
ImpulseRocket89

It allows full sequential. That symmetry acts as a 12-1 crank signal and a 1 tooth cam signal, and thats all it needs for everything....
It is a little rough on the cut, but not on the trailing or leading edges. Nothing a fine file couldn't fix if I wanted to bother, but seeing as how these work out of the box for everybody that uses them... should be fine.

The injectors were already tested at the pressures that I would run them. I will never take static pressure beyond 4 bar, nor will I probably ever approach 4 bar. They are rated to over 107psi

ImpulseRocket89

I am starting to get excited.