Isuzu 3.2 DOHC V6 - This months zoom

Talk about anything and everything
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Isuzu 3.2 DOHC V6 - This months zoom

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Been talking alot about putting one of the Isu-all alloy sixes into a Piazza lately, a mate just happens to have this months Zoom....i suggest people take a gander for some "ideas". Im an avid fan of all Isu-engines, in particular the Rodeo V6's, but all my mates know are "Chev V8 this" and "Toyota/Nissan Turbo that". One of the particular feature cars would shut them up quickly.

Theres a silver Rodeo in there which started off with the 3.2 DOHC V6. It now has argo rods, forged pistons along with a host of other internal work. Its also been bored, with final capacity alledgedly being 3700cc [!!!!]. The good bit is its running 1.5bar off a Vortech V trim blower, with output at 417rwkw on pump unleaded. Tell me that isnt impressive and ill personally come and shoot you.

Think about it guys. A big single turbo [say GT35/40R], 30psi of boost, and i reckon 480-500rwkw is a realistic output. Tell me that wouldnt be desirable in a Piazza...

So, whos going to do it?

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

3.2L is an iron block motor.
The 3.5L has an alloy block.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

I was day dreaming about the 3.5 when i wrote that..my bad.

Either way. 417rwkw is 417rwkw.

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

A 3.2 litre 6VD1 is iron block and a 3.5 6VE1 is alloy? Wierd how theyd make a completely different engine and put it in the same engine series..

They'd both weigh a fair bit more than a 4ZC1 I bet. Probably wouldn't help the handling!
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

But being a V design it should be shorter in length...which means less weight over the front axle.

And anyway, with 417rwkw im sure understeer can be overcome with the right foot...

Nick-
Impulsive Yank

Post by Impulsive Yank »

3.2L is an iron block motor.
The 3.5L has an alloy block.
over here 3.2 block is alloy.

basically it's same block between the 3.5 just punched out & different crank.

i think i have some official specs somewhere on the weight, it wasn't too much more than a 4ZE1 iirc.
88 Impulse Turbo
will do good deeds for beer :drinkers:
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote:But being a V design it should be shorter in length...which means less weight over the front axle.
Nah it means it will throw more weight towards the rear.
But if its a heavier motor theres a good chance that it will still put the same weight over the front wheels.

Clearance will be the other issue, if you can get the motor back far enough. One good bit is the clutch master cyl on the wrong side of the brake master, but i still wonder how far back against the fire wall you could actually get the motor to sit.

Bugle, i dont realy see it as weird to have one eingine from the same series with an iron block and then the next with an alloy block. Could still be the same crank, same head design with the same spacings and mounting for ports, same accessories mounting setup and cam drive train etc. Its the same design only the block is made from a different medium.

Impulsive Yank, Cheers for that info, a letter is all the difference. Its a good chance we got both here too. Perhaps the iron block was in the Rodeo work horse and the alloy found its way in to the Jackaroo.

Im at my grandmothers and ive been going thru my uncles stack of old car magazines. I suppose his lunatic intrest in all things Peugeot has paid off for me at last, lol. Ive been hunting for Piazza articles. In the end of year summary for 1986 i found a table of the years cars and their vital stats.

Comparing the Piazza to the VL Commodore

Piazza 5spd 110kw@5400rpm 225Nm@3000rpm RPM@100kmh=2800 1286kg 11.7kg per Kw 400m in 16.3sec

VL N/A 5spd 114kw@5200rpm 247Nm@3600rpm RPM@100kmh=2300 1250kg 11.0kg per Kw 400m in 16.3sec

VL Turbo man 150kw@5600rpm 296Nm@3200rpm RPM@100kmh=2250 1290kg 8.6kg pre Kw 400m in 16 flat.

One could easily say a 3L motor with a turbo is more than appropriate in a Piazza, providing the brakes exceed that of the VL and lets face it they were crap the Piazzas a probably bigger. With that extra mumbo that the VLT has id say theres some traction issues there just like in a Piazza.
I will hunt and see if i can find some VN or even VP specs.

Cheers. Bob.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Changine an engine from Iron to Alloy doesn't involve just chucking aluminium into the mould rather than iron. Aluminium isn't as strong so it would need to be beefed up in the right places to cope..
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

dont forget the VL was a 6 cylinder car. amazing how the piazza compares considering its a 4.... VL's have similar fuel pressure, injection systems are somewhat (dont misinterpret that) similar, and need about as much TLC as the piazza (at least the VL turbo's do...)
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

The RB30 injection system is very different to the one used on the Piazza. For starters, it runs in fuel and ignition mode via a crank angle sensor distributor. The Piazza was quick for its time, and yes it has traction issues :tonqe: :tonqe: :tonqe:

Interesting that the non turbo VL runs a 16.3, in real life the difference is more then that.

Nick-
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Interesting that the non turbo VL runs a 16.3, in real life the difference is more then that.

Nick-
I wouldnt say that too quickly. A stock Piazza with the standard rubber would be slow as off the line. Plus its apples for apples on the specs same weight and same power, the VL should win on the Extra torque but the Piazza is lower geared.

Bob

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

I was comparing the VL N/A to the VLT bob, in real life the turbo is still alot quicker and thats with traction problems. The Piazza isnt too bad, driving home with my cousin along side me [VS V6 Auto] i had more bottom end then he did, but im loosing alot of power up top so he killed me. I struggled to get away from my own BMW at high speed, so ive got something very wrong going on.

Nick-
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

hmm something must be wrong than.. I kicked my mates SLE in my stock silver piazza with ease though I noticed now the black one and the red one just goes side ways and has no traction at all.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Im pretty sure there is something wrong, but i havent exactly driven another standard Piazza so i cant be 100% sure. Dont get me wrong, wheelspin is there in abundance, the car slews sideways on the 1st to second and second to third gear changes like its on ice, but i still feel like theres something wrong. It picks up really well at low engine speeds and comes charging on, but around 4500-5000rpm it really starts to loose momentum and power. The BMW is a high 16/flat 17 second car at best, so to struggle to get away from a rolling start at 90kmh really shows the lack of top end. Ive got a sneaky suspicion its got something to do with the exhaust, but its going to have to wait.

Nick-
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

Nick, you'll find a different exhaust will make a HUGE difference. Plus your piazza should be cranking at the higher end. THe lower end is where i struggle coz ive got an auto and plus the turbo lag. I drag off many cars with my piazza, and its auto, under the bonnet is stock, and the exhaust is phat (but i drive my auto like a manual if u know wot i mean...). in terms of traction, i found simply getting directional radials on my rear wheels made a big difference.
You shouldnt even struggle against ur bmw. also, r u using hi-octane fuel? I find mine runs faster on regular unleaded - i reckon the computer aint designed for the better higher octane fuels...
finally, by the sounds of it get ur gearbox checked out, just my suspicion thats all... your 4th gear might be rooted...
but importantly, get a better exhaust - u wont regret it...
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions