intercooler

Talk about anything and everything
shorty

intercooler

Post by shorty »

just wondering if anyone has upgraded from the factory cooler??? if so how was it done? i would like to upgrade (cause of that pipe that runs infront of it looks like it would restrict it heaps) but don't want to cut huge holes in the car so if it can be done without doing this i would like to know or get some advice :idea:
Matt

Post by Matt »

I am looking at getting two piazza intercoolers welded togeather and running the return pipe over the top of the cooler. This is short term as I will look at a pwr core and weld some end tanks on later. There is a white piazza in brisbane here with a big front mount. Its tall but skinny and comes out the bottom where the air ducts are in the lower skirt. These have been cut out.
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

ok then, i have had a few ideas but none of them to weld two cores together, sides the thermo for the a/c is in the way so the core has to be moved, but it does give some more ideas on what to do
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yeah I have seen two intercooler welded together on a piazza. So it is possible.

Aswell if you use a scoop you will be better off.
Alot more air intake. I only would recommend it.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I was looking at it from a cheaper point as I have 4 factory coolers here.I am going to change the fan to a thinner davies craig fan. If you read zoom mag there was a guy they called Brains he had two piazza cores welded togeather in a R31 and it made 220KW at the wheels before they had heatsoak.
Do you mean a scoop something like the xu1's had at the bottom of the radiator?
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

yeah i never said it was a bad idea, they are a thick core the standard piazza and if you made it so no pipes went infront of the cooler like it does factory and it was welded up so it had no pressure leaks then it would work well. and the scoop would be good for cooling the engine bay down more then the cooler unless you were running a top mount.

one thing i have seen done to a piazza cooler is to turn it into a water/air cooler. they work very well, better then air/air coolers but hold more weight and are dearer and harder to set up with the plates welded on, hosing to circulate the water and the new mini radiator needed to cool the water down.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Another issue you don't think about with the bonnet open is that the eyelid motor goes down right between the cooler and fan
I've seen one with two coolers welded together but it was an American one with no eyelids.

? Last Edit: May 5, 2004, 2:19pm by Thomas ?