Stereo Upgrade

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
vinnie55

Stereo Upgrade

Post by vinnie55 »

SO.

Stock stereo just dosn't cut it.

Removed door card and mounting bracket

The holes on the new speakers don't line up.

solution - Drill press

Response 6'' kevlar cone, tweeter and crossover.

Selectable Tweeter attenuation (hard wired only)

Wiering

THANKYOU MR ISUZU FOR LEAVING ROOM FOR A CROSSOVER!!!!!

Before

After

Glued tweeter above cig lighter

Final Product
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Show off!

Drill-press indeed. I have enough troubles finding a suitable drill bit! (And usually try to burn a hole through with my soldering iron instead. I'm still very trying...)

And after all these years, any new speaker would probably be a improvement. (See the old stained cone - probably lost flexibility etc.)

But real nice to see how an upgrade is done, and should be done, and modernised to take advantage of modern hardware etc.
(Though I'd consider mounting the crossover more accessibly - maybe under the dash? In part for easier tuning (if applicable); in part foe more speaker "box" volume. But it may b you have it in the only cavity available...?
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

hahaha nice, slodering iron drilling.

Yeah, the kevlar cones on these are pretty rigid. And immidiately I tested with the graphic EQ and they have more headroom before clipping and extend down as far as I want them to. If you push 125hz right up you will clip them, ditto with 60hz. However, I'm going to wire a sub in soon, so I can then set the crossover point of the sub (the amp has hi pass and lo pass filters) to about 150hz.

I actually used the same speakers in the fuego and I mounted the crossovers in the footwell.....it was a disaster. Yeah they were accessible but if anyone else got into my car they would kick them off...

With this setup I am a tad concerned about the connections coming out, so i screwed them in uber tight.
They wont need tuning, I leave the tweeters on the maximum reduction because they are much closer to my ear than the woofers.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Nice job vinnie. I might pick your brains when the time comes
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Out of interest have you changed the head unit over, and did you fnd up getting that CD pin connector/adaptor from eBay?
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

Ah. I've just started that process.
I havn't bought that addaptor, and the reason for that is I want to keep the original graphic EQ.
That addaptor is designed to go from the isuzu plug on the car end (that normally goes to the graphic) to your replacement headunit. therefore totally bypassing the graphic.

-if anyone can tell me what the 5 pin din plugs on the back of the stock head unit do I'll be very gratefull
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Yeah I'd like to keep the Graphic EQ too. It's so old school but still a great unit. Hope you get an answer re the plug issue.
Last edited by Piazza_man on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

I'm now buying a workshop manual off this forum. hoping that has it in it....
Tho it would make sense if it didn't
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

if anyone can tell me what the 5 pin din plugs on the back of the stock head unit do I'll be very gratefull
Radionautics aint my bag and I have not seen the later model aussie set up, what I can tell you is that the earlier (up until 1987), even JDM versions that only had an AM/FM tuner were linked to a tape deck by a five pin din plug. On these early models the R/L balance operated of the radio and the fader worked off the tape deck. Maybe it is a hangover, after all even in the late 80's early 90's tape players were still being fitted to some cars. I still have a couple of those tape decks if your grandma wants to listen to Bing Crosby while tooling around town with her hat on backwards :finga:
So many cars, so little cash
Palos
Probationary
Probationary

Post by Palos »

Haha, nice work.