JR120 Turbo

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Chris wrote:Well u know what I think.. Hate red, fades to much doesnt look great..

Deep purple or a nice blue be better
Dont listen to him hes just jealous. lol.

Red ones go faster.

I like the blue of that bonnet i got with the white Piazza.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

If that is your first spray job you should be rapt. My first was a horror story. I have a red one to do over xmas and I will be happy if it comes out as good and I've done a few over the years in enamel, two pack and lacquer
So many cars, so little cash
madmike
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by madmike »

my first attempt was on my first car a ford anglia looked good in the shed but got it outside and holy shit it was a fu**kin mess but drove it around for six months like that !! (country boys huh?) :supz: :supz:
Sideways by choice!!!!!
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

wedgenut wrote:If that is your first spray job you should be rapt. My first was a horror story. I have a red one to do over xmas and I will be happy if it comes out as good and I've done a few over the years in enamel, two pack and lacquer
You gotta love that old emanel, its the super shiny shit straight out of the gun.

Mike was it done in house paint????? lol. Ive seen a few done like that. The only question you have to ask about painting with that stuff is do i want brush strokes or do i want the nice textured finish a roller gives. lol.

Bob.

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Chris, you know what i think too :yawinkle: Remember when you told me how many labels and plugs you had to do when you wanted to take that engine out? 100 or so wasnt it? Thats why the car is red, fuck taking the engine out for a joke who knows what ill find in there. Maybe Isuzu has hidden a Polarizer like Brocky, except in the Piazza its negative energy mannn...Seriously though, i cbf taking the engine out until i have to [ie. Rod out the side of the block]

I will be spraying it again in 2 years time Chris. The Gemini will be on the road, i would be qualified too so the cash will be much more generous. Im thinking about Delft Blue [VY] or Cosmo for now. Thats if i dont sell it and update it. Theres a nice lil thing called salary sacrifice, makes that 30-0dd thousand dollar Lexus IS200 manual ive wanted for a while all the more acheivable.

wedgenut wrote:My first was a horror story
Tell tell tell! A good yarn is always good. :partyman: The fuck thing with this car is in sunlight you CANNOT see shit, unless you go 5cm away from the paint. Its just way too bright [the colour]. Ill reserve my ultimate judgement once its cut and polished. I keep comparing the paint to the Gemini which isnt really fair.

Rodeobob wrote:You gotta love that old emanel, its the super shiny shit straight out of the gun.
Next time your over remind me to pull the cover off the Gem. 2pack, off the gun [has been lightly cut in some spots, not at all on others] and its glossy, deeper then the ocean and 10 x better and less peely then a new 350Z. Just depends on how good the painter is, thats all. Problem with enamel is the paint needs to be heated before you spray and your fairly limited in colour choice. Still, fucking hard wearing though.
Rodeobob wrote:Mike was it done in house paint????? lol. Ive seen a few done like that. The only question you have to ask about painting with that stuff is do i want brush strokes or do i want the nice textured finish a roller gives. lol.
LOL. THE STANZA!

My mate owns about 20acres behind Epping, hes got this lil Datsun Stanza SSS for a paddock basher - you know the ones with the dog-legged first gear? Anyway, it was originally silver, and some tourist fuck has used it for an Around-Australia type thing, each stop getting their "mates" or the locals to write on the car in permanant marker, like those hippie van things. Anyway, they dump it in my mates Dads work car park and left it. Council dropped the orange sticker on it....sitting there for 4 months, even the council forgot about it. His old man thought fuck this, hotwired it and drove it to the farm. Danny took one look at it and said fuck this, this is ugly. So the old man got one back.

Out came 5L of Dulux weathershield wash and wear in Blue, along with a few litres of black. He sat there with the paint roller and painted the whole car blue over black, much like a factory SSS. The funny thing is, it actually looks good! You cant see brush strokes and shit, it just looks like ugly acrylic paintjob. Weve nicknamed it the Dulux Datto.
Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Tell tell tell! A good yarn is always good. The fuck thing with this car is in sunlight you CANNOT see shit, unless you go 5cm away from the paint. Its just way too bright [the colour]. Ill reserve my ultimate judgement once its cut and polished. I keep comparing the paint to the Gemini which isnt really fair.
My frst attempt with lacquer was the absolute worst nightmare. It was a Mazda coupe, not a toblerone engine job a little 1200, White in colour but tatty so an overcoat was the answer. I bought super expensive paint and the top of the range thinner for best flowing properties and all that shit and off I went.
The school of thought at the time was to build up lots of very light coats and then hit it with a full double wet coat and walk away. The build up coats were a breeze and I was well pleased. I then went for the doctor and hit it with the full wet coat. Farking disaster! the bonnet and the boot lid fried and started to climb off. The roof and all other panels were fine.
I rang a mate and he told me someone had probably put some cellulose on those panels and the light coats were not strong enough in thinner to bite as they were flashing off fast. The full wet coat however allowed enough time for it to permeate through all the build up and react with the original coat. Only solution was to take those panels back to bare steel. I couldn't wash it off and it turned to rubber and i couldn't scrape it so I took the two panels off and attacked them with a 7" wire brush on the old angle grinder until I had bare steel. I still had paint left but no thinner so I thought WTF and thinned it with Turps and painted one wet coat over the bare steel. That was it, out of paint. I went home all depressed.
Next morning when i went to inspect I couldn't believe it, it was still on okay but still not dry. bloody turps. The booth had no heaters so i switched on all the lights and left it till the next day. When I went in the next morning it was dry, it was shiny and it was perfect. It looked better than all the other bits of the car that had been done the "PROPER" way. The only way I could describe it was like glass. You would have sworn it was heaps of coats as it looked so deep. The only problem that came up later was that it chipped like hell. I have since talked to a couple of painters and they confirmed that turps can work quite well in hot conditions as it goes off so slowly the paint can flow out better and one even said he has thinned paint with prepsol once or twice by mistake and got the same effect.
Nowadays if I'm not sure i will use a sealer first or take it back to steel and start fresh. Oh and another thing, Iwill never spray silver or any metallic finish ever again. It's too much grief for a bodger like me plus i don't have access to a booth anymore so it is either outside or hanging drop sheets everywhere inside.
The neighbour with the brand new Lexus gets all uppity when I paint outside and the breeze is heading his way. I told him to chill out as I don't complain about his ugly car, wife or snotty nosed screaming kids. supz:
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote:
Rodeobob wrote:You gotta love that old emanel, its the super shiny shit straight out of the gun.
Next time your over remind me to pull the cover off the Gem. 2pack, off the gun [has been lightly cut in some spots, not at all on others] and its glossy, deeper then the ocean and 10 x better and less peely then a new 350Z. Just depends on how good the painter is, thats all. Problem with enamel is the paint needs to be heated before you spray and your fairly limited in colour choice. Still, fucking hard wearing though.
Nah i meant the old type enamel. Not 2 pack. Its shiny as off the gun and the chalks up a few years down the track. You can paint it over acrylic but never try painting acrylic over it. Its similar to acrylic in that you thin it with thinners and spray the shit on.
GeminiCoupe wrote:
Rodeobob wrote:Mike was it done in house paint????? lol. Ive seen a few done like that. The only question you have to ask about painting with that stuff is do i want brush strokes or do i want the nice textured finish a roller gives. lol.
LOL. THE STANZA!

My mate owns about 20acres behind Epping, hes got this lil Datsun Stanza SSS for a paddock basher - you know the ones with the dog-legged first gear? Anyway, it was originally silver, and some tourist fuck has used it for an Around-Australia type thing, each stop getting their "mates" or the locals to write on the car in permanant marker, like those hippie van things. Anyway, they dump it in my mates Dads work car park and left it. Council dropped the orange sticker on it....sitting there for 4 months, even the council forgot about it. His old man thought fuck this, hotwired it and drove it to the farm. Danny took one look at it and said fuck this, this is ugly. So the old man got one back.

Out came 5L of Dulux weathershield wash and wear in Blue, along with a few litres of black. He sat there with the paint roller and painted the whole car blue over black, much like a factory SSS. The funny thing is, it actually looks good! You cant see brush strokes and shit, it just looks like ugly acrylic paintjob. Weve nicknamed it the Dulux Datto.
Nick-
Hey them dog leg SSS Stanza 5 speed boxes arent easy to find.

I will say that yeah your right to stick to red so you dont have to do the engine bay. But with how reliable Piazzas are and all i doubt anyone will ever see under the hood on yours.

Another thing ive been told is to repaint a red car in another colour isnt easy. It bleeds thru like a bitch.

Bob.

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Yeah well this thing has it. Typical datsun shifter - the nylon bush wears out and the thing is sloppier then a piece of wood in a cement mixer. Atleast its not as bad as the A series gearboxes. Bush goes in that thing, going for second means you have to touch your passengers leg [thats in a 120Y/Sunny. Not a bad thing if your passenger is a leggy blonde. Not good if its your wog mate.], third is somewhere in the dash/heater control area and who knows where the fuck fourth is. Datsun diffs are for the tip as well. GF's bro has blown three in a stock 200b. We blew one in the Stanza ON WET GRASS, dont ask me how. Another mate has a C110 240K sedan with a 5speed, now THATS a rare and expensive gearbox.

Not sure about the red bleeding bit, thats what the highfill is for so it wouldnt have really mattered if i went a different colour. Just the extra effort wasnt worth it in the end.

Nick-
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Excuse the funked up angle, it was the only way i could get the shine to show up without the flash going off and making everything look orange. Pay particular attention to the top left corner.

Me thinks shes scrubbing up alright :supz: . Ignore the wet concrete, i had to wash the panel before i used the cutters. The panel is bone dry, not a bad shine for acrylic with no clear if i do say so myself.

Nick-
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Heres a slightly better one.

Some of my parts have arrived....so the rush for RWC begins. Deadline : NYE 2005.

Nick-
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

NOICE and SHOINY puts the pressure on me not to eff up the one I'm gonna do. If no pictures are ever posted it is because I failed and am dangling at the end of a rope
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

mm smooth and shiney
madmike
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by madmike »

very very nice work!!! :prayer: :prayer:
Sideways by choice!!!!!
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Just my fucking luck...

Assembled the car as quick as possible, full on rush job and all to go down to the "dodgy dave" and get a RWC written up for the piece of shit. They were open yesterday, today? Guess what - CLOSED. I drove 20-odd km in an unregistered car, shitting bricks, all for nothing. Doesnt get better either. Brake pedal is hard, nail the brakes and....not much happens. Did a 0-120kmh-0 run and i barely pulled up, all i could smell was cooked pads. So it aint looking good.

I can report however, given a bootful of revs off the mark wheelspin is present, as it is when i flatshift into second. Woooohooo

Nick-
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Just as you begin to think things are going to be ok, the curse returns. I just walked over to the garage to have my cofee and look at the Piazza, and i noticed a pool of oil under the car. Youve got to be fucking joking...

So it looks like ill be up for a new turbo. FUCKING HELL. I need the car going yet i cant even do a 20km-odd trip without blowing something up. I wonder if someone will swap plus cash for it...pffft yeah right.

Nick-