2.6L 4ZE1 EFI Head/Inlet manifold upgrade.

Submit all your know how here. All workshop submissions must be reviewed and may be edited by a Moderator or Admin. Please speak to any of the forum staff first before submitting.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

2.6L 4ZE1 EFI Head/Inlet manifold upgrade.

Post by Rodeobob »

Ive chopped and changed this to include the head and posted links for thumbs to get rid of the huge pics.

Cylinder Head
The 2.6L head has larger inlet and exhaust ports. When i find my verniers i will put up the measurements. Heres some comparison pics.

E1 on top D1 underneath.
Inlet.

Exhaust.

Heres the C1 Na shuttle manifold on the left and the E1 on the right.

The reason i mention the 2.6L head is for two reasons. The ports and valves are slightly larger and the combustion chamber is also larger. Depending on what forged pistons can be got hold of there might be a need for the compression drop to compensate for higher comp pistons.

EFI Inlet manifold
For a comparison to the Piazza inlet the Rodeo manifold has bigger runners, handy if you want to get a bit of port work done to you Piazza head.
I dont have a Piazza manifold here thats stripped to do any comparisons to side by side. Its on the car and im loath to pull it off for the sake of it. Heres the Rodeo manifold compare it to what youve got.

The Rodeo manifold has two seperate water parts in the inlet manifold. The thermostat housing and then the chamber under the runners. They are connected by a hose. The hose comes form the thermostat housing to the chamber under the plenum then the water goes off thru the heater system.

Im not sure how similar the Piazza manifold is to this so check it out before you go pulling stuff to bits. I can only find pics of underside of the lower half of the Piazza manifold and they arent the YB ones.

Save as and you can shrink em a bit with a picture veiwer so they come up full screen. lol. sorry to the dial uppers..
Colours mean the same as in the first pic.

If you switched to one of these manifolds for the port size benifit there could also be some gain from the water side of this set up too. If you motor is modded and your running high boost/intake temps if you dont run the water thru the lower half of the manifold you can gain a few HP there thru not adding to the intake temps.

Ive also been told that the Piazza plenum will drop right on the Rodeo runners as the holes at the plenum are the same size.

Valves
There is a difference but its only a 1mm on both the exhaust and inlets. Measurements and pics to come.

Cheers. Bob
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Ok i found the verniers and i had a measure. The 2.3/2L head is 33mm in the port and the 2.6L is 35mm.

On the 2.6L thats right at the mounting face and then the port narrows up due to the casting. Its does so within the first 10mm, so theres not much difference. This is on the exhaust side. I didnt measure the inlet oops.

Bob.

Impulsive Yank

Post by Impulsive Yank »

I didnt measure the inlet
I measured 35.5mm:

also had 36mm for the exhaust.

this is on a 95 head.
88 Impulse Turbo
will do good deeds for beer :drinkers:
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

That measure of the exhaust was more for the factory exhaust manifold sizes than anything.

The cc of the combustion chamber is the main big difference, i will get around to measuring it one day.

I did measure the inlets and it was a pretty big difference, cant remember where i put that up. Bugle might, im pretty sure it was in another thread in here somewhere. Could have been in the Gemini forum.

If i remember next time im out that way i will measure again.

Cheers. Bob.

Impulsive Yank

Post by Impulsive Yank »

over here our 93+ 4ZE1 chambers got smaller with a kidney shape:

along with the diff chambers came revised plenum(seems smaller in volume) using a larger round throttlebody. the newer upper will bolt to all the old lowers.

MAF sensor housing also increased in size at this time.
88 Impulse Turbo
will do good deeds for beer :drinkers: