Fixing your digital dash

Submit all your know how here. All workshop submissions must be reviewed and may be edited by a Moderator or Admin. Please speak to any of the forum staff first before submitting.
Bugle
A total post whore

Fixing your digital dash

Post by Bugle »

Thanks to Leon, thought it should be posted in here.

As mentioned befor with my dash it was the power supply board on the dash main board which was the problem.... Trying to post some pics for your viewing pleasure....

Leon...

I fixed my own dash...

Pic of power supply board...
Pic of where it come from...
Pic of corrosion of tracks and component legs.... (Middle of board you can see track corrosion)
Re solder and should be ok...
I hope this helps.....
Last edited by Bugle on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

So where did you actually solder?
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

He just resoldered all the farked solder joints. After a while solder joints can crack and cause intermittent problems. It's pretty easy to see the cracks going around the joint, sometimes not so easy to see. Best off re-soldering every single joint.
I'm sure mine has the problem once it wouldn't turn on at all then few hours later it was fine again. Also a couple of bars of my tacho aren't working I think the whole VFD would fuck up rather than just 2 bars so it's probably the solder..
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Its just like an old TV. lol.

Good pics Bugle. 10 out of 10.

At a guess id say the solder itself is the main culprit. Solder is made up of all sorts of stuff parts of which would be corrodable. Add in age and vibration too.
Ditto for the copper tracks on the circuit board it can corrode too if exposed to air.

Id say to be doing a job like that you want a clean fine tipped soldering iron. No gunk on the tip clean it up with a wire brush. Use as little heat as possible so you dont upset the electrical bits.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

So how did you get the power supply board off? did you just snap it off? Or did yours slide right off? coz mine is soldered on very solid.
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

You have to remove all the solder on each of the pins then it'll slide out

To do that you'll need a solder sucker or solder wick. Couldn't find a sucker thing on jaycar but here's the wick stuff link
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I'm surprised they have the board suspended there only supported by solder. That's asking for trouble!