WTB: Piazza 2L DOHC distributor

After a Piazza or just some parts. Here's the place to go.
blue_devil
Learner
Learner

WTB: Piazza 2L DOHC distributor

Post by blue_devil »

Hi all,

I'm looking for an dizzy for a mate whose got one in his... Can't seem to track one down here in NZ and am hoping someone here may be able to help...

Cheers,
Anand
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Another one... (Things come in bunches...)
I recommend the Gemini conversion - a cut down G-Z series dizzy fitted with later FWD RB Gemini reluctor guts (reluctor and ignitor) and the RB's blue ignition coil.

Any high performance IgCoil can be used (the ignitor is current limiting; I have used 0.3Ohm-primary Bosch E-types) and other cars have similar ND blue coils (which a few regard as the best "common" IgCoil).

Though the original DOHC can be rebuilt - it just isn't worth it. Inferior reluctor set-up (multi-pole with external magnet that cracks up above 7500RPM and is a bitch to replace, mounted on old/pathetic advance plate, and a less robust ignitor - compared to newer bearing plate and easy-mount single-pole robust reluctor with ignitor that is common to other vehicles (early RB Geminis, Nissan, etc).

All that is needed is the original driven gear at the bottom of the DOHC dizzy shaft.
And a source of replacement Gemini dizzy caps and rotors (and vacuum advance pod if they are used).

I have some converted "RG" dizzies if they are hard to source over there. ("RG" being RB guts in a G-series engined Gemini distributor).
They were reserved for Bellett, Florian and Wasp use (OHV G-series engines) but have yet to have their shafts cut. (The DOHC ideally having a 10mm longer shaft protruding from the standard G-Gemini dizzy body.)

I can supply a suitably modified dizzy with the required split-pin and shim (to match the larger ID of the DOHC driven gear).
The normal market price for the RG dizzy seems to be $150 or so, though a few years ago someone on the OzGemini forum was proposing cheaper. Their shafts can be cut etc.
Reply else PM me if interested in buying my stock.

FYI - if you want to see the typical price for the RB ignitor, see Tridon Ignition Module TIM045. That's cheaper than the $350+ I used to see on eBay etc!
As to a reluctor system superiority over others, I'll let someone else start that one!
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.