Piazza "What Da..." Files..

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Piazza "What Da..." Files..

Post by GeminiCoupe »

As much as i know/think i know about cars in general, there are some things on this car that have me 100% fucked as to what they are. Anyone care to help?

First is what my mates have nicknamed the "Electronic Turbo". It runs an intake to the drivers side gaurd, through the electric motor then out a pipe aiming at what looks like its the fuel rail [see below, big black ugly thing]. Theres no noise from it when the car is started, no indications of it doing anything. What the fuck is it and what does it actually do? Can i take it off and throw it in the bin?

Next is behind the centre console, looks like some sort of heater pipe. A pipe comes in on the lhs, goes into the middle bit and then theres nothing on the RHS - no hose, no nothing. Is anything supposed to be there?

Finally, radiator end. One of the hoses runs off to the over flow located under the passenger headlight, and the other hose is about 20mm long with a hose blocking it off? It looks like it leads to the weird plastic thing bolted to the bracked on the AFM, is that where its supposed to go? Also, theres another outlet on that that leads to nowhere. WTF is this plastic thing and what does this do. Is this bin-able as well?

Cheers,

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

The first one is your heater fan. It sucks the hot air from the engine bay into the cabin. second and third, fucked if i know

oh second thought though, it could be a air coller for the engine somewhat.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

I dont think it has anything to do with the heater, that was my original guess however i cant see anything connecting it to the cabin. Any more?

Nick-
117Coupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by 117Coupe »

First one is the 'injector blower' which is not on JDM models. Second one is the temperature sensor for the auto air con.

Paul
'80 Isuzu 117 Coupe
'87 Isuzu Aska
'93 Subaru SVX
'98 Mazda Roadster
'97 Honda Legend
'99 Honda Logo
'01 Toyota Will VS
'01 VW Polo
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah the injector blower was on US models as well. It's even got its own computer to decide when to turn it on. I think it's to stop the thing bursting into flames? Probably a good idea to leave it there.

Looking at the wiring diagram has a thermo switch to tell if it's hot enough to turn it on. It doesn't actually seem to run while the engine is running though. Comes on a few minutes after the engine has stopped.
I've only known it to operate 2 times. One time was at home I noticed it about 5 mins after i'd turned the car off. Another time i'd gone to uni and left it then a mate who mustve walked past it comes in a bit later and says "wtf your car sounds like a fridge"

Dunno what the second thing is there, but the third is some thing which is connected into the turbos water lines. It's got that vacuum operated valve which opens up a water passage from the turbos water lines to the top of the radiator. Then I guess that other thing controls whether to actually allow vacuum to the valve to let it open. You don't really need it since you've only got an oil turbo. If you're gonna pull it off don't bin it can I have it? The hose fitting snapped off mine..
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Third is the control for the water to the turbo, often it has malfunctioned, and just been bypassed.

Tommy
Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Matt »

1st thing - all gone on mine took it off to save weight. Havnt had any problems. I got annoyed at the motor going whenever it wanted plus it was full of leaves so it made weird noises like when you used to put a piece of cardboard and a clothes peg on your pushy.

2nd thing - as previously mentioned. but I dont have air con anymore. That whole weight reduction thing again

3rd thing - is conected to the top water hose for the turbo. I dont have the electric thing next to the air flap. I dont remember any of mine ever having one.

Matt
Check out my stuff again. got to go dont want to toss it in the bin. please buy it.

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZaidenspaidenQQhtZ-1
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Correct
No 1 is the injector cooling fan and it is meant to come on after you switch off and run for a little while to cool the fuel rail and injectors. Snaky little yellow men designed it that way, I thought all YB's had that standard! The JDM's don't as far as I know and none of the NZ released, at least I have never seen one.

No 2 is one of two cabin temp sensors the a/c uses, the other one is under the little slots on top of the panel between dash and windscreen.

No 3 is only on water cooled turbos so if you don't have one you don't need it or someone has by passed as someone said before/
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Thanks blokes.

With number one, i cant see WHY the injector rail would produce that much heat to cause a fire, so i guess ill probably bin it. If the JDM's dont have it i dont see why it would be that crucial. Matt, how long has yours been off for?

Seeing as my turbo is oil cooled only then i guess ill probably rip the valve thing off. Its no good though Bugle, fittings are broken.

Cheers,

Nick-
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

I though number one might have been to keep the gold plated distributor cap cool. lol.

The number three thing could well be to let the water circulate naturaly, (remember hot rises, water or air it dont matter) when the motor is turned off. After all the motor is hot, the turbo is hot, the motor is stopped so does the water.

If yours is oil only then bin it. Id clamp up the bolt in the hose a bit better. Or better still i bet your brace to end tank bracket is broken at the radiator on that side, rip the radiator out get that fixed and the end of the tube soldered over. Dont get rid of it later coz if you need another turbo down the track you may need it, you can just drill it out then.

If i remember rightly theres two points that feed water into the turbo, the bung in the block, its the drain bung on no turbo motors, and I cant remeber where the other is from.

The two exits are that one into the filler neck and an exta tit on the lower radiator hose tube above the alternator.

I might be confused, i will have a refresh and post up a tech article. Ive got to get the alternator off so chances are all the inlet plumbing will have to come off. I will get the camera out. Chances are i will just relive the memory of fitting the damn turbo, what a shit of a job, especially with new hoses that dont want to conform to stoopid angles.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I understand the injector cooler is not to prevent fires, when the engine switches off and no coolant is circulating there is a dramatic temperature rise in the engine. With turbos it bakes the oil hence the turbo timers to allow manifold cooldown. with the injector cooler it is meant to prevent too much heat building up in the injectors themselves and would help prevent vapourising of the fuel in the rail, vapour lock can cause hard starting. Probably designed for hotter climates
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Didnt think of the vapour lock angle, possibly because ive never dealt with it before in any of the engines ive had. I still dont see it as a really big issue seeing as i will be getting a turbo timer.

With the water valve thingy, i guess thatll be coming off too. When the car eventually gets a bigger turbo [notice i say When not If :yawinkle: ] ill run the water lines from that point without the valve. In all the turbo cars ive worked on ive never seen that so im guessing its not do-or-die thing. Again, turbo timer should help issues.

Cheers,

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Damn yea just noticed the fitting to the radiator is busted. Both of mine snapped off. Will have to machine up a new valve if I could be bothered. Bob I don't think it can open if the engine is turned off because it appears to open under vacuum.

Nick you don't need to worry about hooking it up to that part of the radiator because it's got the 2 lines from the engine anyway.

It's got the fitting on the pipe to the bottom of the radiator and the other on the side of the block right about in line with the centre of the turbo so that was easy to hook up.

Turbo timer is probably a good idea. I killed that RB20 turbo from burnt oil blocking the oil feed banjo bolt. It has a restrictor hole in it which is about 1mm I think.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote: Will have to machine up a new valve if I could be bothered. Bob I don't think it can open if the engine is turned off because it appears to open under vacuum.
Dunno Bugle. It just makes sense to be around the other way. I should check if theres one on mine, i know i didnt plumb into it.

If the inlet and outlet are around the same height in the system once the water pump stops the water does too. If the outlet is higher you will get some flow due to heat rise. Makes sense they did put a blower on for the injectors after all.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Nice leads Bugle :yawinkle: lol

Another what the...

Little unit with a cable attached to the wastegate, so far guesses are overboost protection and some form of anti-lag measure [ie. opening the wastegate more at lower rpm]. What is it, what does it do, is it useless and can i rip it off?

Cheers,

Nick-