Low idle revs

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
B52

Low idle revs

Post by B52 »

As per previous post.
I believe the lack of revs to be one of the sensors so the car thinks it is warm and has dropped the idle speed.
Anyone know how to fix this as I have no idea where the sensors are and /or what to do with them when I find them.
Car is located in Croydon.
Anybody know a good mechanic in the area who can help?
Cheers
David
B52

Idle speed

Post by B52 »

Have had several people looking but no replies!!!
Anyone want to have their 2 bobs worth???
Cheers

David
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Idle speed is controlled by several things, ignoring the silly stuff check the water temperature sensor under the inlet manifold at the front runner, bitch to get to and you will need to bend up a spanner to get it out in the car but at least check the wiring to it and the resistance readings hot and cold. Check also the idle up solenoid on the inner front guard, on manual cars there is only one to bring the idle up when AC is on, on auto cars there are two, the other one is idle up when drive is engaged to prevent stalling. It could just be that the idle speed is too low. Often the throttle body gets gummed up and it revs slightly high, same happens if it has an air leak through a worn spindle. Some times the idle will be adjusted down to try and correct this instead of dealing with the real cause.
If you haven't got a manual yet, spring for 10 bux and treat yourself, the fault finding steps are helpful and easy to follow plus it will tell you where everything is and how to check it.
So many cars, so little cash
B52

Idle speed

Post by B52 »

Just love your work.
Thanks for the info.
I will get a manual (I'm no mechanic but I'm sure it will come in handy for my mechanic).
Again much appreciated to feedback.
Cheers

David