Isuzu Piazza -89 CEL 61

noki
Learner
Learner

Isuzu Piazza -89 CEL 61

Post by noki »

Hi there and greetings from sweden!

I have one of the limited Lhd european Isuzu Piazza JR, 4ZC1-t, the last years we have rebuilt the car compleatly (rust rust rust)!

But e few weeks ago when we took the car for its first "long" (over 10 km) drive in 12 years it started hesitating, well, I can understand that it got som crap in the lines and so aftar all this time but since theres a new tank, fuelpump, preasure regulator it was a little wierd, well, we took a little break and after a few minutes we started up again to go home, it started fine went for a few km and then it began to hesitate rapidly and lose all power, CEL came on and it wont start without help (a few drops of fuel in the intake pipe and it starts)

After a few hours of looking for aldl I found out that my piazza had 2 wires under the steering instead, the cel blinked out code 61, wich I have found to be MAF hot wire, but after som check I cant find any problems with the maf and I have tried another one with no result

I hev also read that som piazzas have other ECUs and with that other code results, can anyone give me a hint on what to do?

Best regards Markus
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Sounds like an I-TEC system. 61 & 62 are both "circuit to AF Sensor bad" as you said. So try checking cables too - or disconnect/reconnect the ECU connector(s) if that doesn't knulla upp anything.

We have the 1986 4ZC1-t in Aus, but it's a Bosch ECU and doesn't have code 61 (that I can find).
But ours have a snazzy AF Flap (not those energy wasting HEATED AFMs) as well as a sophisticated distributor with RPM & vac advance (not those OLD 1981 etc G200W optical CAS like the 1989 4ZE1 etc have). (Yes, I'm being sarcastic!)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Did you replace the fuel filter at the same time? sounds like fuel starvation.
So many cars, so little cash
noki
Learner
Learner

Post by noki »

wedgenut wrote:Did you replace the fuel filter at the same time? sounds like fuel starvation.
Yes, I changed it prior to our "long" trip...
noki
Learner
Learner

Post by noki »

Now I have changed the maf and that was the problem, (actualy the cable was the problem but one of the hotwires broke when i was mad so I had to buy a new one anyway)

It solwed the starting problem, It now starts and idles perfekt, but now I got another problem instead.

As long as its cool it works perfect, but when its warmed up and I put down the throttle it will hesitate a bit, as it gets warmer the hesitation increase, when driven for 45 min+ it hesitates violently and even stalls if I wot it, any realy good sugestions here?
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Could that be a temp sensor?
I'd expect an air temp sensor. Not sure if the hotwire measures air temp. I presume it has 2 wires - one heated and one ref; the ref could measure air temp.
Hopefully some NZ G200W owner?

Could be engine temp - ie, impacts ignition advance mapping.
But air may be more likely - thinks it's still cold, hence denser, hence excess fuel & rich?

I'd have to look up info for non-Aussie Piazzas....
noki
Learner
Learner

Post by noki »

IZU069 wrote:Could that be a temp sensor?
I'd expect an air temp sensor. Not sure if the hotwire measures air temp. I presume it has 2 wires - one heated and one ref; the ref could measure air temp.
Hopefully some NZ G200W owner?

Could be engine temp - ie, impacts ignition advance mapping.
But air may be more likely - thinks it's still cold, hence denser, hence excess fuel & rich?

I'd have to look up info for non-Aussie Piazzas....
I would rule out the MAF since it did the same with the old one, perhaps a tempsensor..

Its quite imposible to find any information on the non-aussie Piazzas, isuzu europe and isuzu nordic went bankruptcy shortly after releasing the piazza in europe wich made them rare, and when restarted the piazza did not reapear.

In sweden there are 5 or 6 registered piazzas, and the US got the nonturbo mostly, so the wont give any good hints, the japanese know alot but i dont get there language :P
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

From Chilton's Isuzu Cars & Trucks 1981-91 Repair Manual p4-129 (RWD Impulse);

Air Flow Sensor systems errors are:
#61 = insufficient signal (harness open, ground short or broken hot wire), &
#62 = excessive signal - broken cold wire.
For both, engine limps with injectors responding to Throttle Valve Position resulting in stalls or instability with poor accelerator response.

So Code 61 was bang on eh!

EGR Temperature Sensor system:-
#32 = Malfunction (EGR Valve) but causes no noticible change except worsened exhaust (which is a Capital Offense in Sweden)
#34 = EGR temp sensor or harness NG (bad connections or faulty).

Have you tried the Finish lads? http://www.isuzuownersclub.com//