What exhaust size ?? 2, 2.5 or 3 inch ??

IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Yeah... I should have said I always prefer silence. From the Isuzu cars too. Though I found the standard Conti noise on my Duc (GT750 roundcase) to be advantageous in traffic. (It took ages to understand why cars pulled over when my un-lit Duc approached whereas similar speeds and headlights on my Yamahas did nothing!)

And the G200W was loud with foot down - but that was the intake noise!

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good exhaust note (like baffle-less 250cc motorbikes - NOT!), but other than safety aspects, ssshhh! (Stealth wins!)

PS - the only other Ducati-like experience was ironically in the Florian... Coming down the mountain was like a rally in that cars would pull over to let me past. But it wasn't the engine - it occurred with G161U & G200W, and I was often just rolling with engine off anyhow. Maybe they recognised her age and suspected brake failure. I suspect a strange car with strangely shaped huge parking lights (Florian headlights) coming around corners scraping RH door handles on LH corners got the respect she deserved.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Go the duke. Great bikes eh.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Yeah. I use to hang poo on other bikes.
Or rather, if you weren't riding Jap, you were crazy.

But let's say my cautious first ride with on its old rubber and a fire extinguisher strapped to the seat (leaking Mikunis) eventually impressed me.
I knew the speedo was wrong because although I had done 160+kph up that winding road on my old RD350, I was well aware of doing that speed.
But on the GT750 I was being cautious. Granted, single handed whilst I was rolling a cigarette with one hand and picking my nose with the other, and a bit sus that the Kwacka 1000 behind me that raced up in the straights dropped back on the corners - but no where near 160kph. 100kph maybe....

But I learned 3 things after that trial run.
1. My speedo was reasonably accurate.
2. I understood frame flex.
3. I became a torque convert.

She went well for a $400 purchase ($650 on the road).
I was spewing that I didn't beat my mates on their Suzy GS1000's - it was always the same - light green, front wheel up, and then a consistent 2 bike lengths behind. At the time I blamed it on its slipping clutch (later solved with ~$5 worth of springs).
Only later did I realise that was good for a Duke - they are high speed cruisers or sporties - not quick off the line. And 750cc versus 1000cc...
About a decade later - after about 10 years of criticism from "Delorto" duc owners, they too changed to Mikuni carbies. "You need Delorto pumpers"... what a joke!

Anyhow, I did get into the zen of non-Jap bikes - the quick timing check before a run etc. (But incorrect-offset timing is another story. "You can't put holes in Ducati pistons" - that's another joke!)

She was nice when I was living down the Latrobe Valley. That was when the HD Evos came out and all of a sudden all Harleys were going fast - for sustained minutes!
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.