LSD shimmed, still sucks.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah the Quaife is for the torque tube rear end.. I think it only exists because they share the same diff with an Opel Manta or something.
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

It's a shame that the Dana 44 isn't as common down there as it is here in the US. I just picked up mine from a 1996 Rodeo V6 today. 4.30 with factory Limited slip. I am planning on different gears, but I may try and rebuild the limited slip and use it for a while., and if not there are a ton of diff. options out there.

The axle tubes are a little bigger in diameter, but the factory brackets can be made to work quite easily thanks to the way Isuzu mounted the stock ones to the 10 bolt with an extra section of plate that increases the diameter of the tube. I am assuming that they did it for extra strength, but who knows.

Honestly, with them side by side, they are very close in length too. Less than 2 inches just by eyeballing it. I still plan on having custom axles made with a 5x100 pattern and a much smaller hub center diameter (these are 6 bolt and the hub center is huge).
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

We have those diffs on our Rodeos too with the same ratio, but I believe we had the option of specing non LSD if you wanted, so there'd be a small portion out there with non LSD. What's the spline count on these things?
ImpulseRocket89

axles/diffs are 30 spline.

archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

See, I could rationalise the price of the Quaife if it'd fit, but I'm guessing it wouldn't. If axles had to be remade I could deal with it, but again I'd prefer not to. I really want to keep the original housing and brakes - being such a rare car, I want to leave the basic architecture the same (although I'll probably be upgrading front brakes soon).
Indigo - '76 TX Gemini sedan, G180W+T project,
Abigail - '81 TE sedan, white, G180W ITB project,
New Hotness - TG Gemini drift car, orange, 4ZE1+T
Tardis - 1986 Piazza 4ZC1-T, black, forged, 136rwkw @13psi
Coupe - TX coupe grip car, "do it later", G180W+twin carbs
Trevor aka Jimmy's Gem - Grandpa-spec TD
BA Falcon - Tow car
ImpulseRocket89

To each his own. There isn't going to be a whole lot left of the original car left in my case. I bought it as a basket case that was partially taken apart, and have since swapped the engine, the trans, soon the rear axle, the entire fuel system, removing all of the emissions components that weren't already missing, engine computer for an EMS, and I am re-doing the wiring under the hood. Brakes are also planned for mine, but that's entirely thanks to the 5 lug conversion.

If you can get a quaife diff, then go for it. There is really nothing wrong with the isuzu 10 bolt for most situations and even mild upgrades. In my case, with a goal to see 600rwhp, give or take, and some hard driving...I just don't trust the stock diff and axles.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

ImpulseRocket89 wrote:It's a shame that the Dana 44 isn't as common down there as it is here in the US. I just picked up mine from a 1996 Rodeo V6 today. 4.30 with factory Limited slip. I am planning on different gears, but I may try and rebuild the limited slip and use it for a while., and if not there are a ton of diff. options out there.

The axle tubes are a little bigger in diameter, but the factory brackets can be made to work quite easily thanks to the way Isuzu mounted the stock ones to the 10 bolt with an extra section of plate that increases the diameter of the tube. I am assuming that they did it for extra strength, but who knows.
Did you choose the '96 because of the favourable mounting points. Do the later model V6 diffs have different mounting points? What about the '96 2.6 diff? Are they not Dana 44?
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

eyecon - I think the Isuzu splines to 4ZE1 were 27, but maybe 24 - I might be getting confused with Geminis & Crappadore conversions. (I might check tomorrow.)

ImpulseRocket - what's the max torque of the engine since that's all that matters - ie, clutch philosophy - power is irrelevant, a clutch is torque.
Oh - and 1st gear ratio...
My 400Nm twisted the output shafts of Gemini boxes, but I saw no evidence of axle twist. (And I never did intentional burnouts - instead preferring max acceleration - unless in the wet LOL!)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Where's Rodeobob when you need him. He's MIA for a while now.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Funny you should mention that... RBob has cast me a few PAP search & destroys and I'll contact him before my PAP visit intended for this w/e whilst several Jack & Rodeos remain - my Wasp/Bellett steering column & wiper upgrades etc - noting the descriptive INTENDED...

What do you want - the splinage of different models?

I know I have given the splinage on posts since my PC crash but they might be on HoldenGemini. I haven't recorded such revised notes on my PC, and I still haven't recovered old files.
I know OzGemini has the info (if you sort out the good threads from the bad) but they might need a userID to see that tech info.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Yeah I guess a list of splinage and gear ratios for the 2.6 and V6 would be great, and include the diesel variants (is it the same as the 2.6 or V6 variants?), and also what's wrong with using the later model RA model rodeo diffs? Are they harder to adapt to the Piazza? As IR89 pointed out earlier the earlier '96 versions still had plenty of other ratios on offer, but do the later models offer a wide selection of ratios too?
ImpulseRocket89

eyecon wrote:
Did you choose the '96 because of the favourable mounting points. Do the later model V6 diffs have different mounting points? What about the '96 2.6 diff? Are they not Dana 44?
Up to 1997 the 8.5" Dana 44 was used. I chose the earlier version because of that fact. That and since it is a standard Dana 44 size instead of the "big" 8.9" version from 98+, diffs and gears are plentiful and relatively cheap.

IZU069 I am expecting well over 500ft-lbs, and I have seen the 10 bolt isuzu break at well under that level. If I were building a drag car and didn't mind running a spool, then that would likely be a different story.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I was thinking of running a Dana 60 until this Dana 44 came into play. I'm just fascinated and intrigued the 44 will be able to handle the power the IR 89 and I will be chasing. I might not need to go to the 60 now.
ImpulseRocket89

I chose the 44 over the 60 for a few reasons. Size was a part of it, gear and diff choices were another, but availability was key. The Dana 44 has been used in so many SUVs for so many decades now, that you can literally walk through a junk yard and trip over them. There were 14 in the yard I got mine from.

Strength wise, properly built, the Dana 44 is comparable in strength to a ford 8.8" with the C-clips eliminated and a good diff and gears installed. Since I have seen Dana 44's hold up behind V8's in 5000lb trucks with big mud tires, I figure my peaky powered 2800lb hatchback shouldn't stress it too much.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I don't think Rodeos we got here have that Dana 44 diff, i've looked at them at the wreckers in late 80s/90s Rodeos and they are a banjo style diff like the Piazza just much larger.