4ZE1 conversion

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

The 4ZE1 deck is about 20mm higher than a 4ZC1 isn't it? Bit too much for a shim to make up I think :)
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I wawn't really thinking about the 4ze1 conversion as much as the comment about the slight protrusion on previous post. Anyway, so what 20mm BAH! so a slight tapping noise for a few seconds then think of the saving in gas you would no longher have to buy! :finga:
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

JEEZ
Just read my previous post, I gotta get a bigger keyboard or smaller fingers, da spelin is diabolikal...dyabollockill....dia...a forget it, its just lousy
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

I had to get a head shim for my little daihatsu chrade i rebuilt. I got new pistons and they stuck out past the block. You could ony get pistons for the later motor so i had to use those and get a head shim. It was made out of stainless steel and came from ACL.

You use Hylomar to seal the under side of the shim.

Shorty, i put the using of the head shim in the same boat as the dick that over decked the block. Not wise on a turbo motor. Its probably not much of a drama but it just creates another "edge" in the combustion chamber to bore profile.
I dont think id be using that bloke to rebuild a motor for me.

Its all about the pistons. If you can find the right ones or if your rich get them made you can do anything.

The Piazza is 88x84mm stroke and the 4ZE1 is 92.6x95mm.

The 4ZD1 is 89.3x90mm so it would square a bored out Piazza motor up nicely.

I wish i had the specs for the 1.8L motor. If its 4 or 5mm shorter in stroke than the Piazza motor that would make things work nicely. I bet the difference is in the bore its probably 84mm square.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

The 1.8 engine is 84bore x 82 stroke so the pistons would be bit rattly in the hole :finga:
shorty

Post by shorty »

that was going to be my next rout, the pistons. i am lanning on putting a set of forgies into it (probally a set of hypertech) and if i can't find some then they can be custom made. i have seen only one set of custom pistons go threw my mates work shop doors (they were for some wierd tractor engine from like 1920 or something) they cost a little so i don't think i will get custom one but.

has for it being 20mm i didn't think it was that much, that is like a 800thou shim plate :rolleyes: (it's 40thou to every mm for anyone that didn't know or is intrested
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

I did a bit of a search on Google a while back about pistons. I was looking for something else with a similar bore thats a bit more common and forgies are offered for it. I think i only searched australia. The idea was to get a list and look into what i found. The bore size is a start, then look into deck height pin height etc.

88mm.. 2mm OS from a RB30T VL
88mm.. L20B Datsun. Not sure what the std bore is for these.
89mm.. nothing
90mm.. nothing
91mm.. Volvo V6 (Peugeot?? Renault?? they did share the basic motor) J&E Pistons was mentioned
92mm.. VW
93.. nothing
94mm.. Rover 3.9L V8
94mm.. VW scat.

Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

wedgenut wrote:The 1.8 engine is 84bore x 82 stroke so the pistons would be bit rattly in the hole :finga:
Nah. Piazza block bored out to 90mm fitted with the 90mm 2.3L crank and the 82mm 1.8L rods.

Find me a piston to fit that an i will be a happy man. :partyman:

But you were right the first time. Rattle. You would too if your piston was half the height it used to be.

That would have to be a good 10mm to loose out of the skirt height. And your loosing 4mm off the pin to deck height of the piston too.

Plan was to use the 4ZE1 head with bigger comp chambers and ports.

Me needs to investigate. Im a long way off even starting to do that.

Cheers. Bob.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Piazza is 88 bore * 82 stroke must have the same crank and rods as a 4ZB1 I guess?

Why do you wanna make it square? Thought an oversquare engine would rev better. 4ZD1's and E1's redline at 6k rpm don't they?

How about 4ZC1 crank in 4ZE1 block, 4ZE1 pistons, and have to find a rod long enough to make the piston reach the deck height.
2.2 litres, 92.6 bore * 82 stroke!
Also the extra rod length means less angle on the rods when the pistons are halfway down the bore think this is another factor which helps engines rev.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

My bad on the stroke.

Damn the theif that stole the 4Z book out of the shuttle manual folder. lol. It came from the WA state library.

Not sure what to do Bugle. It all depends on the pistons. If i can find an off the shelf set of forgies that will work in some combo all will be good.

Square works for the SR20. Why not put in a bit of extra stroke. May as well get the most from the 2L block. Its a 2.3L turbo piazza then. As long as the short rods dont up the angle to far.

Could always use 2.6L pistons in a 2.3L motor. It will bore out that far. My 2.3L block is already half way there at full O/S.

Not sure what the red line is. 5500rpm from memory is what the factory tacho in the ute says. Im pretty sure i had the 4ZD1 up over 6000rpm before i ripped it out. Milk shake and all. lol. The 4ZB1 just wont rev that hard. and the way it rattles above 4000rpm you just couldnt live with yourself if you did it. lol.

Bob.