motor running lean

cyberjo
Probationary
Probationary

motor running lean

Post by cyberjo »

hi all well have found out something that r wrong with my car had a garage have a look at her and was told it is running very lean , what could becausing that ? , and was told that the blowoff valve is stop the power , as for running lean would it be the injectors , or air flow meter cheers
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Don't think it would be the injectors unless thre is something wrong with the dropping resistor. They are fairly passive and will deliver only what they are given unless they are all gummed up.You could try some injector cleaner but yes it could be an AFM problem or even vacuum switching valve problem. If the valve is open all the time you may be suffering insufficient fuel pressure, easy to check, that will also tell you if your fuel pump is up to scratch and don't forget to check for blocked fuel filter, how many people change that as often as they should? Have you got a manual yet? All you need to know for fault diagnosis is in there. I'm not a fan of BOV's.
So many cars, so little cash
Impulsive Yank

Post by Impulsive Yank »

also consider vacuum hose leaks and check the intake tubing for cracks and whatnot. maybe bad o2 sensor?
88 Impulse Turbo
will do good deeds for beer :drinkers:
cyberjo
Probationary
Probationary

running lean

Post by cyberjo »

hi thanks for your replys well paid $80.00 for a bloke to tell me its running lean well what I can make out is I have two studs broken that bolt the turbo to the manifold may be extra air is getting in check plugs they are sutty black in color not white as you would think for running lean look at o2 sensor had rusted in and strip the tread as I removed it so will have to get a new one the tip was black also have check fuel pressure at pump my gauge says 95 psi is that right ? check pressure on return with motor stop same pressure so what do you recon ??? Cheers Wayne
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

95PSI ? summat wrong there, gauge might be suspect, don't think a piazza pump can generate that sort of pressure EVER. pressure should be in the late 30's to 40's from memory. Some checks you should do with engine off so you need to power up the relay from the battery direct, it is a step by step thing, you really gotta get yourself a copy of the manual, it is to complicated to do it all over forum topics in a fragmented way.
So many cars, so little cash