Pressure sensor on the power steering

Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Pressure sensor on the power steering

Post by Matt »

Does anyone know what this actually does? the manual says its a pressure sensor but where does the signal go? Is it needed?
rodavo
APC Member
APC Member

Post by rodavo »

Hey Matt,

From what I have read, the pressure sensor is a solenoid and is triggered when the car gets to a certain speed (say 100km) to alter the power assistance to the rack. This means that the rack is not as light at high speeds so that you get more driver input and better feel. Thats what I have read about it anyway but I cant remember where I read it. There is a white plug that you can probe and see what happens to the voltage when you drive along. I havent done it yet, but I am planning to. If this is all correct, I am planning to buy a kit from Jaycar that will alter the signal and allow you to change the assistance to the rack. I reckon it needs to be a little bit heavier all round, but until I play with it I wont know for sure if it is possible to change.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Matt »

yeah just rebuilt the entire front end with nolethane and had to weld up the crossmember and all. I had a choice of 3 racks sitting here and all were slightly different. I ended up putting one in that didnt have the sensor on it. I will tell you later if it made any difference.

It may be little hard to tell because I am not running the air con pump and am running the power steering pump straight of the crank pulley. I dont think it is turning as fast as it would be if it were going around the air con pump.

Say hi to your dad and get him to give me his new phone number. Will have an intercooler kit ready soon for the piazza using the existing supply and return set up.

Matt
117Coupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by 117Coupe »

Some JDM models (like mine :D ) have a 3 position dash switch to adjust the power steering assistance level.
'80 Isuzu 117 Coupe
'87 Isuzu Aska
'93 Subaru SVX
'98 Mazda Roadster
'97 Honda Legend
'99 Honda Logo
'01 Toyota Will VS
'01 VW Polo

Post by Guest »

Yeah Ill do that Matt.....I will be very interested in the intercooler kit!!! Talk to you soon!!

Dave
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Matt wrote: It may be little hard to tell because I am not running the air con pump and am running the power steering pump straight of the crank pulley. I dont think it is turning as fast as it would be if it were going around the air con pump. Matt
It will still be turning at the same speed. The size of the driving and driven pulleys are what matters. What other accesories it runs around wont make any difference to how fast it turns, only the length of the belt. The driving and driven pulleys create a ratio with being different sizes. Take a motorbike chain, the sprokets set the ratio and it wont matter how long the chain is (IE: hill climb bike) or what tensioner you have fitted, its still the same ratio.

You could try a larger pulley on the pump to slow it.

You could also try a Rodeo pump they would run a different pressure. (At a guess id say that it could be a higher pressure as i think a recirculating ball type box would run higher pressure. Would be worth asking a steering joint about.)

I used to have a HQ 1 tonner. I fitted a V8 pump to a 6cyl. The smaller crank pulley on the six made for light steering. The factory 6cyl pump has a bigger pulley.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
rodavo
APC Member
APC Member

Post by rodavo »

Seems both dad and I have lost your number!!!! Could you email it to me please. Thanks.

rodavo@tpg.com.au

Dave
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I can't really see how the power steering pressure can be altered with the Aussie delivered setup. Only electrical thing in the system is that sensor and there's no way that can do anything to the pressure. It does say in the sales brochure that it has speed variable power steering though. Could only be based on engine speed driving the pump slower/faster.