New bushes for suspension

IPTOC
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by IPTOC »

Wedgie, I was referring to the spoiler I had seen as a TWO leg on an Irmscher as being higher up the tailgate, and having concealed fixings.

All the three legged spoilers I've seen have been in the same position as the UK HBL spoiler.

My point was really that the two legged spoiler pictured is not specifically an Irmscher item, it is a genuine Isuzu part and is as fitted to UK/European spec HBLs.

:rolleyes:
1988 Isuzu Piazza HBL Auto - Ebony Black
1988 Isuzu Piazza HBL Manual - Romanesque Silver
1851 Cellar chock full of Isuzu spares!!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

My own view is this, Isuzu I'm sure had a plan in the earlier Piazza years on what got fitted to which model variants and as they developed through the years this plan was more or less stuck to, however in the end years of the late eighties I think they lost direction and as each car came off the line they had to rummage about in their parts bin and fitted whatever they had left. That maybe isn't true but it sorta seems like it sometimes. Particularly on the JDM cars. The impulse was a different set of bad dreams as the yanks did pretty much their own thing with automatic two piece seat belts and dash knee protectors as the Piazza really needed more plastic cover foam to crack up in the sun. The Piazza to me is like a dumb blonde, not very smart, high maintenance, a bit flighty but gorgeous to look at and you can't help wanting one anyway and you don't mind being seen with one. You can't say that about a Skoda now can you?
So many cars, so little cash
IPTOC
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by IPTOC »

Wedgie, I hear you. However, I think the haphazard approach to specification was evident all the way through; I have some early Japanese brochures, for example, that clearly show 82 and 83MY cars with smooth rear ends, like the later HBL cars - i.e. without the recess and infill panel - but with early style rear lamps!

You'll know, if you've studied those microfiche slides I gave you, that the number of options on these cars was staggering.

Now when you consider that the 81-85 cars had a different parts book, and the Impulse had a different one again, all with even more options and specific-to-market part numbers, it starts to make you wonder how they ever managed to build cars!![/i]
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Bugle wrote:I think the 2 leg one you're thinking of is some UK only option? On this Piazza here http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage ... /jbel.html
Yeah I've seen this one before and I only ever saw it on this car, so I always assumed it was a custom job, perhaps a Sierra Cosworth rear wing that was modified to suit (since Sierras were common in UK). I presumed this because of the number of other external custom mods he did on his car.
IPTOC
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by IPTOC »

That's the type!

No, it wasn't a modified one - I know the guy who had the car and the rear spoiler came from an Isuzu dealer in London. It was apparently part of a body kit that Isuzu were making available for the Piazza, but I guess it never properly saw light of day.

Shame as it's smart.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

It would have been really awesome if LED stop lights were incorporated in that one too.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

IPTOC wrote:It was apparently part of a body kit that Isuzu were making available for the Piazza, but I guess it never properly saw light of day.
My Isuzu Guru said that the Australian spoiler kits weren't worth crap and that "the only ones" worth getting were the genuine Isuzu kits.

He did have a few (in case I wanted one) but that's all in the past. (He has since left the Isuzu Marque and most bits went to others.)

For what that's worth....

PS - My guru's comments referred both to looks, and fitment - apparently the local kit was a poor (and flimsy?) fit.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Awaking and pulling a thread back to its original Title...

I just found this SuperPro Find my bush size link (which I might have gotten from this site?).

Specifically for us - Suspension Parts & Poly Bushings for HOLDEN (GMH Australia) Turbo 2+2 Coupe 4/1986 - 1988.
Unfortunately it only pictures suspension "pivot" bushes but has no parts listing nor dimensions.

It does have the usual SPF1655K Steering Rack & Pinion Mount Bush.

Maybe others can be (closely) matched with our tabulated bush sizes (??) from the above Find Bush link.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

SPF1655K doesn't fit lotus versions and neither are they drilled for the P/S breather pipes. They do fit JR130 and JR120 pre lotus. The superpro diagrams are pretty generic so not much help for actual bushings or sizes.
So many cars, so little cash
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I had a look at the super pro site before. From what I can remember there was almost nothing there that had the right critical dimensions that I could use. I also remember there was an issue with the way they displayed their measurements. Some of it didn't make sense and was confusing. In the end I gave up on the site.

BTW my own bushes are yet to be installed. It seems what the mechanic says and what actually happens could be 2 different things. Anyway I'm assured it won't be long now. The red ranger site was a far better site.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Time has finally come to post info about upgrading rear suspension bushes. I've put together a pictorial reference so that it's hopefully easier to understand what you need and what you need to do. In this case you won't have to do that much. The main thing you need to know is that the part numbers listed in the drawings are Red Ranger part numbers, which are listed on the following website: www.nolathane.com.au. If you're interested to find out what vehicles those bushes actually belong to just input the part numbers into the search bar.

You'll only need to buy one kit for the entire upper trailing arm bush assembly as pn#46060 comes with 8 bushes. This should cost about $93.82 retail from Supercheap Auto. You'll also need to use the pins that come with the kits. The areas written in red are the small mods you’ll need to get the job done.

The lower trailing arm requires two bush kits as given in the drawing below. Part# 46189 should cost about $73.95, and part# 46193 should cost about $147.55 retail. Part#46193 will also have 8 bushes and 4 pins in the kit, but you'll only need half the kit. The other half you can sell to another Piazza owner or whatever:

Some might be already aware that the front part of this arm has, in essence, a bush inside a bush. Combined with it's centre pin this configuration is no doubt designed to reduce NVH levels. I've drawn an enlargement of the inner metal bush/sleeve (with real pics below) which is encapsulated in rubber between the main arm tube. However, due to it's uncommon internal diameter size and the stepped surface finish of the inner sleeve I was unable to find a suitable bush replacement to go inside the inner sleeve. Solution? Knock the inner sleeve and associated rubber out, thereby leaving a clean main tube and an internal diameter that I can work with. Now some may argue that this will sacrifice NVH levels, and since I haven't driven the car yet I can't test this argument. Perhaps bugle can step in and shed some light on this as he has done something similar I think. But I personally think it won't pose much of a problem because there is so much nolathane material in its place now, and I also believe cornering will be flatter and sharper.

For those who want to retain the inner sleeve then I suggest getting some custom bushes made/machined using the dimensions I have provided, and a recommended maximum tolerance of +0.2mm for the outer diameter bush size.

Below is what the front bush assembly looks like on the lower trailing arm. Note the centre pin actually looks more like a "+" with the rubber bush moulded around the pin to be as one piece. As the pic shows, the original rubber bush is inevitably damaged when you try to remove the pin . You can also see the stepped surface of the inner sleeve.

Last edited by Piazza_man on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Nice work thanks for that.

You're right with so much material on that lower front bush the NVH is ok. Felt fine to me. However I hadn't changed the other bushes though as they were still ok.
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

Great resource, thanks for putting it together. I've saved it for future reference.
Indigo - '76 TX Gemini sedan, G180W+T project,
Abigail - '81 TE sedan, white, G180W ITB project,
New Hotness - TG Gemini drift car, orange, 4ZE1+T
Tardis - 1986 Piazza 4ZC1-T, black, forged, 136rwkw @13psi
Coupe - TX coupe grip car, "do it later", G180W+twin carbs
Trevor aka Jimmy's Gem - Grandpa-spec TD
BA Falcon - Tow car
clyde
Probationary
Probationary

Steering rack boots

Post by clyde »

Boots are the same for either side. I got some off Ebay several weeks ago so not hard to find.

Bushes: Research some of the postings in the Australia parts section.

I think there are some bushes that are the same or with slight modification.

Cheers, Clyde