New Shocks?

Ghost

New Shocks?

Post by Ghost »

Has anyone bought any lately?
Got quoted $128+GST each for KYB gas a-just.
Seems rather high?
1986 Piazza - 1984 Piazza
1986 Heron MJ1
www.mvpc.co.nz www.ihwedding.co.nz
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I was going to say that I've never been a fan of gas shocks....
... and my KYBs bought 10 years ago are still great although they are in a Wasp (1965 Isuzu Bellett ute).

HOWEVER, checking on their price because I was gonna say your price is about double what I paid, I found that my Wasp costs spreadsheet reckons 7Feb00: Shocker - Front; Gabriel Gas Ryder SHO-69736 (same as Rodeo), 2 at $50.00 each GST included, ie - $100. (List Price $83.72 each.)
I can't believe I have GAS shocks - and I could have sworn I bought KYBs!!

But the Gabriels are USA manufactured... My "anti-gas" stance was based on local Pedders & Munroes last millennium - I found they only lasted a few years if that.

FYI: I have Konis for my Bellett & Jackaroo, but I doubt that I would buy them now - their prices are unbelievable! (The 4 Konis for the Bellett were $300 back around 1987, the 4 Konis for the Jackaroo were $11 each from Pick A Part a few years ago (priceless!).
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

KYB gas are expensive over here as well. I fitted Late model Rodeo shocks to the front of mine, they are 15mm shorter and you need to drill out the wishbone mount for larger bolts but they make an incredible difference as they are much higher pressure rated. No dive under hard braking, zero body roll, bump steer a thing of the past and the stiffer front end makes the back end less likely to wobble about as well I notice. You need good sticky rubber though as it is a bit less forgiving in the wet. Got Gabriel on the rear and they are really good as well. lets face it anything is better than bloody Monroe
So many cars, so little cash
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Well BNT finally gave me a quote
front new part number : 553090 x2 @$140.00 each
rear new part number :553089 x2 @ $140.00 each
Even more expensive, and the rear shock are not even the right ones?
1986 Heron MJ1
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Are Koni adjustable shocks any cheaper/better?
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Konis are the ultimate!
Well, pretty good anyhow, and fully rebuildable (now by IKON in Australia - or was it INOK? (Koni reversed) - I think Koni ceased to exist at least in Australia).

But Konis were/are far from cheap. The last time I looked for one for one of my stables a few years ago I think they were ~$1,000 each. (Yes, each - unless the "qty" meant a pair, though AFAICTell is was per unit!)
Maybe they were the external adjustables?

The type I have are what I call internal adjustables - you bottom the piston and rotate to change the damping rate. They have a 2.5 turn range. Probably a 15-20 minute job on my beasts. (I'd go almost full-hard when rallying.)
The externals have a dial on the base of the shocker body.

My original Konis were through Centreline Suspension (Thomastown, Melbourne) - a Bellettt Car Club member worked there, hence a great price. $300 was a heck of a lot back then.
[ Absolutely amazing Bellett handling from those guys! And speeds too (149mpg with a TO3 turbo'd standard Gemini G161Z engine AND non-standard brakes - the Belletts have the same (type of) single piston drums that a Morris Minor had)! ]

FWIW:
I thought KYB were quite cheap considering their quality. They are OEM on Belletts etc and they could last decades!
I've never liked gas, but hey, it turns out I have them on the front of the Wasp. KYBs of unknown age on the rear, and some know how I treat vehicles on rough roads (ie, I go faster!). But maybe I should get under the beast and confirm what I have.
I reckon gas adjustables don't last (nor do gas, but....).
However I'd probably love to have Fournales gas shocks if they still exist.... for cars. A mate spent $400 on a pair for his trailbike in ~1977 (Yamy TT400 etc). Those shocks went from bike to bike including his "best" dirt bike - a 650cc shaft drive road bike (Suzuki?) and a Ducati 900SS - yes, the orig Desmo SS which he had in the 1980s. He still used them on his shafty in Townsville during 2000 (when we took the Wasp to Cooktown, via the 4WD coastal road of course!). (With the Fournales you removed the bike's springs - the shock did all that. He swears he NEVER bottomed out!)
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Well BNT finally gave me a quote
front new part number : 553090 x2 @$140.00 each
rear new part number :553089 x2 @ $140.00 each
Even more expensive, and the rear shock are not even the right ones?
Avoid BNT, wise up Go to George Stocks in Mt Wellington. The correct shocks for the front ARE 553090 (used to be part number KG4773A) and Stocks are Cheaper than BNT. For the rear you want 443317 (used to be KG1111) these are the same as Holden FB to HZ models and for oil shocks the last price I was quoted was $62 each again from Stocks.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Are KYB 553055 Gas shocks compatible, or am I better off just getting the oil filled 443317?
http://issuu.com/george-stock/docs/kyb- ... h?q=443317
1986 Heron MJ1
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

They should be but gas are probably twice the price and for the rear not really a huge advantage. save your dosh and fit oilies
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Well I guess I should report in and say I finally got around to replacing them.
Now onto fixing the hatch rust and headlining.
1986 Heron MJ1
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I just replaced the belts (alt, aircon & power steering) for the first time on a Piazza. I'm glad I waited for it to cool down, though maybe cauterizing would have saved a few bandaids. (Nah. I can't afford them. I'm just in while the 3-year old KMart battery recharges (it's bubbling already; I'd say that's dead...). It should have charged by the time the blood stops dripping.)

I pulled out one front shocker on my Wasp. (That solved the front end noise. Turns out the lower shocker U-mount broke its weld from the lower suspension arm. Bloody Jap quality - you reckon I'm gonna put up with that every 45 years?)

It still has gas and feels quite good. Not bad IMO for 11+ years (190k km including the 4WD route to Cooktown and any rally track I've found since).

They aren't KYB, but are made in USA. (I wonder if the brand is "TOP" with an arrow head above it?).
P8112 C310 024
.. are the numbers as I read them.

Not that I recommend gas (nor did Poida when he was here - he psst off before the Piazza came. Bastard!), but these have been good.
But the Wasp is a torsion-bar front, not the usual springs that I am used to.

Just FYI.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

A question about rear shocks guys. I currenty have Koni adjustables at the rear, but the travel is too long because the king springs fall out and don't trap. Car can't pass rego as it is and it's also 15mm too low. Even new springs the springs will still fall out, so I was wondering if there is anyone who is useing a shorter travel shock. I was also thinking with Konis being fully rebuildable and all that, whether my existing ones can be rebuilt with shorter shafts. Any thoughts in that?
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

I'd call the Koni distributor in Australia. They should be able to match you up with a shorter stroke shock.

Koni's are rebuildable, but I'm not sure if they can change the extended lengths etc, might need a whole new shock for that.

However, I will reiterate that oil shocks are incomparable to gas! Oil are sooooo much better :D I've got Konis in my front, and will be looking for Konis for the rear soon. Eyecon if you have any luck with a "lowered" shock part number, let me know, and vice versa if I find one :)
Indigo - '76 TX Gemini sedan, G180W+T project,
Abigail - '81 TE sedan, white, G180W ITB project,
New Hotness - TG Gemini drift car, orange, 4ZE1+T
Tardis - 1986 Piazza 4ZC1-T, black, forged, 136rwkw @13psi
Coupe - TX coupe grip car, "do it later", G180W+twin carbs
Trevor aka Jimmy's Gem - Grandpa-spec TD
BA Falcon - Tow car
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Yeah I think I'll stick with shortened rear Konis if I can get 'em. I'll let you know what I end up with. I love the Konis that I have in there now. They're set to hardest but I think I prefer a shock with good rebound control than overall stiffness.
palazzo
Learner
Learner

Post by palazzo »

Does anybody know if KYB makes front oil shocks?
Having trouble finding them..
I have ordered two KYB Excel-G shocks (#343039) for the rear, but can only find gas shocks for the front.