original stereo cassette being a pain.

sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

original stereo cassette being a pain.

Post by sbs »

I have read a few times now of other owners still using their original stereos with no problems at all, so I am thinking that they are a pretty good unit, but my unit is being a pain. So, has anyone had to have their units serviced and if so will most established audio repair shops be able to handle the job? I want to avoid putting in a non-original unit if I can.
Thanks guys,sbs.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

What's wrong with it?
Last edited by Ghost on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986 Piazza - 1984 Piazza
1986 Heron MJ1
www.mvpc.co.nz www.ihwedding.co.nz
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

Im getting ride of my unit soon if you want it it the tape deck like you have i do beleave... hit me up if you want it.
Isuzu impulse turbo, my weapon of choice!
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

re :- problem with tape deck

Post by sbs »

The problem with the unit is that their is a lot of audible interference behind the music, very similar to feedback. When the tape is first started the speakers let loose with a high volume crackling sound, this settles down to the feedback type of noise. I have not tried a head cleaner yet and, who knows, maybe it could be that simple.
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tapedeck

Post by sbs »

Hi there speedie, your offer is appreciated mate. I have contacted you via private messages and you may just have the solution to my problem. Thanks, sbs.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

If it is the old original am/fm stereo with the separate cassette unit i think i have a few spares as well. Check the din plug link between the two to make sure it is in properly and that the braided earth strap from the carrier frame is going to a clean earth stud, usually attaches from the left side of the carrier to one of the two studs on the bracket on top of the tunnel. Certainly sounds like a bad earth or connection but it could be a stuffed read head.
These are bullet proof, i think every car i have seen has had one in it and they always seem to be working as good as new.
So many cars, so little cash
gmheh
Probationary
Probationary

Post by gmheh »

i have an original one too if your interested. i took it out and put in a cd unit and 10 stacker.
piazzanoob
Probationary
Probationary

Post by piazzanoob »

hey guys i have the same problem Ive tried electronic clean and on the plugs and unit itself pulled it all apart to do so still has the same problem anyone know why? or have one i could have/buy?
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I have one only tape deck section left that was in good working order when removed and I am on the right side of the ditch. If interested send me a PM or email. Actually came out of the gold car in the picture at top of this page
So many cars, so little cash