Piazza_man project

Talk about anything and everything
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

eyecon wrote: I always wondered what the function of the air pump thingy at the front of the car is for. Is this assembly located on the front left side of the car? I removed this on my first Piazza and didn't notice any difference when driving around. What is it actually for? I'm guessing it has something to do with assisting on cold engine starts and/or engine refinement? Although I don't recall the assembly weoghing about 40lb.
Ours don't have the air pump, that thing you're thinking of would be the cruise control vacuum tank?

The Impulse air pump would be the same thing that came on TF/TG Geminis except the Gemini pump is driven by a belt off the engine. It pumps fresh air into the exhaust ports on the head to cheat emission tests..
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

Huh, I didn't know your Piazzas didn't have the air injection system like our Impulses did. I could have sworn I saw parts of that system on some of the Piazza Turbo pictures I have seen on this forum.
Last edited by ImpulseRocket89 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Ours don't have the air pump, that thing you're thinking of would be the cruise control vacuum tank?

The Impulse air pump would be the same thing that came on TF/TG Geminis except the Gemini pump is driven by a belt off the engine. It pumps fresh air into the exhaust ports on the head to cheat emission tests..
Thanks bugle. Maybe I should leave that in if retaining the factory CC, or delete if incorporating impulserocket's system.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

LOL! I love Bugle's:
Bugle wrote:.... to cheat emission tests..
Not that I want to hijack, and not that it's something I am in to - meaning I have never had reason to investigate air pumps etc (all my road vehicles are pre-1973 ADR)...

But I had thought that the pump actually lessened emissions rather than converting emissions. I know that is the same thing, but maybe it's best explained by my anti-emissions view at the time.
When emission legislation first appeared, many systems were add-ons, eg charcoal canisters, air pumps, retarding ignition by 3°, etc.
I felt that was a waste since it decreased fuel economy and performance. Essentially it meant more exhaust gases per mile albethey better (ie, less CO and NOx).
It was understandable at the time since manufacturers could not change their engine designs overnight.

Since then however the proper "front end" engineering has occurred - ie, better combustion efficiency, sealed fuel and breather systems, etc. And EFI has added to that through its dynamic compensation of fuel-air mixtures and delivery matching to engine loads & RPM (unlike chokes and pedal to the metal on carby systems).

I do wonder if a true unrestrained market would have beaten legislation to emission standards, but vested interests exempted that (eg, the plethora of other fuel savers etc that were bough and shelved; GM preventing GMH from developing (mechanical) fuel injection in 1957).

Nevertheless I found Bugle's "cheating" comment amusing - though in hindsight it's probably not so funny. IMO it is a valid description no matter how it is viewed - other than the bottom line where it did reduce the targeted hazardous emissions (though now we add CO2 to that list even though its hazard was known and predicted in the 1800s and observed as early as 1976).
Alas such descriptions - or even "bullshit" - can be applied to so many things these days. Luckily - or sadly - most people don't seem to realise...

Not that I meant to hijack, nor get (socially) political... :ANAL:
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
vadoo
Probationary
Probationary

Post by vadoo »

vadoo
Probationary
Probationary

Post by vadoo »

Bugle wrote:
eyecon wrote: I always wondered what the function of the air pump thingy at the front of the car is for. Is this assembly located on the front left side of the car? I removed this on my first Piazza and didn't notice any difference when driving around. What is it actually for? I'm guessing it has something to do with assisting on cold engine starts and/or engine refinement? Although I don't recall the assembly weoghing about 40lb.

Maybe you talking about "INJECTOR BLOWER". At Impulse on the right side.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Nice find. I don't understand Japanese but I can see what appears to be a carbon fibre bonnet. Is that page offering them up for sale? It's a pitty the bonnet is the early version. Impulserocket and I have the later version.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

vadoo wrote:
Bugle wrote:

Maybe you talking about "INJECTOR BLOWER". At Impulse on the right side.
Nah, the injector blower is something totally different. This sits between the rear of the engine and the firewall.
vadoo
Probationary
Probationary

Post by vadoo »

Probably only carbon fiber shell (no frame) - 84,000yen
Full carbon fiber hood - 126,000yen
FRP hood - 42,000yen

below is written: we will make any car part from carbon fiber, if they do not have it (except the hood).

http://www.restored.jp/englishtop.htm
vadoo
Probationary
Probationary

Post by vadoo »

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

126,000 yen= about AU$1,330.00. Hmmm I'd probably go for it at that price. I might email them to see if they've done any later style bonnets. (Ah..er. Now to learn Japanese 101...ah yes. Konnichiwa...that's all I know)
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

eyecon wrote:I don't understand Japanese...
Using Firefox?

Get the Translate This add-on.
Though I installed it ages ago, I never read the instructions (of course!) but a few weeks ago I right-clicked a block of text and and chose Translate "<blocked>" by mistake. (So that's what it does!)
Since then I have used it heaps - even those Jap links above.
The translation seems amazingly accurate and sensical.
When for this reply I checked what add-on it was, I also saw that it translates whole pages. (Damn - I require another 50 seconds to read instructions!)

I also have the gTranslate add-on, but I don't know what it does.. (LOL??)

Now that's what I call convergence!
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I run Firefox so I'll give it a go. I already sent a message to them in English last night, but I won't know if they understood it. I'll wait and see. Either way I'm thinking shipping costs will be horrendous, not to mention possible radioactive contamination. Who knows, maybe the hoods will glow at night. How cool would that be. lol.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Informative video, but I have no inclination to do this myself. Firstly I don't have the time, I don't have the space, and considering our hoods will require two moulds (outer and inner skin with embedded latches, hinge and strut mounting points, etc) it will be much better if I leave it to the experts.
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

I have goodies for you. I unpacked the shifter to check for missing parts or damage, and it's all there and in good shape. I repacked it with a little extra packing material as it just came in bubble wrap. I figure I will put the smaller boxes in a bigger box with a little more packing as added insurance.

Just waiting on the crank pullies to get done!

1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"