Carpet

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
ImpulseRocket89

Carpet

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

I don't know about you guys, but my OE carpeting is more or less completely shot. This car being what it is, there are no molded aftermarket carpet kits, that I know of, out there.

That being said, I contacted this company. http://www.stockinteriors.com/ Because they have a good reputation in the Crown Victoria world for guys that buy used police cars that came with the rubber floor mat from the factory.

Obviously, they have no listing for any year range of Impulse/Piazza at all, but they have a request form. I sent in a request and checked the "I wish for a response" box to see what they have to say. I have a feeling they are going to want a minimum number of orders before they decide to tool up and make a run of these. I am not sure what that number will be, but I figured I would gauge interest.

The carpet kits they sell for most every other vehicle about the same size as ours are in the $130-200USD range, so they aren't too expensive.

I do realize that shipping a big heavy carpet overseas would probably cost a ridiculous amount of cash, but I figured I would see what kind of response I would get.

Either that, or if anybody knows a good source for carpeting let me know.

Last option is for me to go to an upholstery shop once my car is driving and just have them custom form a carpet for who knows how much...
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I could be interested depending on price and colour. I was thinking of going custom too but way further down the track. It's not high on my list of priorities atm, but you never know.
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

I was most likely going to get black, but the color would be selectable. They build forms for the carpet and can form any type/color desired. I still haven't heard back from them yet so who knows. I am sure it will be some number that will be impossible to achieve given the scarcity of the car.
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I had a similar issue with stained and threadbare carpet but the moulded shape was still okay so I bought some unbacked carpet in black, it has a little bit of stretch to it so not too difficult to mould to the shapes required. I used good quality spray glue and simply stuck it to the original carpet in place. I removed seats, console and door trims. I fitted it in two halves which makes it easier to handle. Front half and rear half join with a slight front overlap under the seats and handbrake area so no visible joins apart from the slight uprise on the inner sill and that isn't noticeable. The carpet itself was quite reasonable at $25NZ per metre of length x 2 metres wide which is wide enough for the car. I bought 4 metres and covered the rear compartment as well using the same method and still had some left over. So including the three cans of spray glue (good quality contact type) the whole job cost me $150NZ and half a day. Black carpet is wonderful, yes it shows every single bit of fluff but it looks great. Can't see you buying anything better for less
So many cars, so little cash