My Piazza project thread

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Pull the box off and do the rear main too after youve put the sump back on. Migh as well do it now then its done.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah I was planning on doing that since there is also gearbox oil leaking out the bellhousing.. I changed the front seal on the box but I farken forgot to seal the threads of the bolts holding the drive gear bearing retainer on.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I removed the remains of the gasket pretty clear it was leaking at the sump gasket at the bottom of the bearing cap. Either side of that point the rubber was stuck to the cap but at the centre it had oil between the gasket and the cap. I don't think the crank seal is leaking at all. Perfectly dry on the flywheel. Can see the silastic goes pretty far along the bearing cap. Service manual says to use only a small amount in the corner.. So maybe too much silastic there caused it to not seal at the other spot.

Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

If it was the rear main id say that there would be oil all over the flywheel. Yay youve just saved yourself a days work.

Bob.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah bet it will be the next thing to go once I put it all back together :rolleyes:

Do you know if front seals go much earlier than rear ones? I had to change the front recently. I know the engines been rebuilt at some stage maybe the front seal wasn't leaking at the time and they didn't bother changing it.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote:Yeah bet it will be the next thing to go once I put it all back together :rolleyes:

Do you know if front seals go much earlier than rear ones? I had to change the front recently. I know the engines been rebuilt at some stage maybe the front seal wasn't leaking at the time and they didn't bother changing it.
Dont think anyone could ever realy answer that question.

The first bit is a given, it will leak one day. Could be the day after you replace it, could be the first day you run it after its been sitting for a while.

Its your call Bugle.
IMO id leave it the hell alone.

Bob.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yer I think i'll leave it..

I stripped down the inlet manifold this evening pulled all the wiring off it have to replace some injector plug boots, and have to clean the injectors. Oh yer and how good is my thermostat!
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

LOL@ your thermostat.

Not good, Id be having a serious hunt for the rest of it. Id say if that bits there the rest should be, if you were going to have no thermostat you wouldnt even put that in.

Bob.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Nah it has definitely been cut apart on purpose. The car has had alot of clueless tards working on it in the past so it doesn't really surprise me..
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Finally got around to putting the sump back on! Beat the jack dents out of the bottom of it and resprayed it. Was kind of dreading it because you know how hard it is fighting gravity while working on a car. Especially when you've gotta get it on before the silastic goes off. I'm sure I offended the neighbours with all my swearing.. Worked out ok in the end. Well I hope so, it had better not leak!
By the way ACL makes gaskets for them. Was $45 through Auto One.. Same as other 4Z gaskets.

Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Its not to hard to do with the studs at either end to get you started. Its even better if the motor has been tipped upside down. lol. I think its the only gasket on my ute that doesnt leak out of all the ones i renewed when i changed bits over so it would go in the ute. lol.

Heres to yours not leaking :drinkers:

Bob.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Done a few more little things.. Will bolt the crossmember and suspension back in soon.

Slight difference between an 86 and a 89 HBL stub axle, they just beefed it up on the steering arm bit, too bad they didn't make it stronger where the last one had bent on the bit going up to the top ball joint.

They were a bit rusty so I sand blasted them. Easiest way to clean up cast bits for sure. Painted them too but forgot to take a photo..

Back to the lower arm bushes.. Made this tool for pressing them in.

Problem is the bushes were a bit too big to fit. They were 1mm too big at the small end I assume they thought that's ok for a Gemini because the holes in the arm could expand out a bit. The Piazza has a chunky solid machined tube for the bush to sit in so that's not going to happen. So I machined the shells down a little bit to about 0.3mm oversize.

Then they fit in fine..

Also sand blasted and painted those 2 front radius rod mount thingos coz I hate rust even if it's just surface rust